4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Longtube header install

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Default Longtube header install

On my longtubes headers i just installed my o2 sensors the ones in the front are not able to fit on the passenger side because they hit my transmission and the sensor would have to be about halfway in the transmission for it to fit. They said the headers would fit on my car 01 mustang gt automatic and i put MAC LONG tubes on it. i was wondering if it was nessecary to have these o2 sensors and how in the **** i would get an o2 sensor to fit it??? PLZ I NEED AN ANSWER ASAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2006, 02:16 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Longtube header install

Maybe they lied, I was gonna say you probably have an auto; which you do. I wouldnt start the thing up without the front o2's in there.... you can fubar the computer.

Also, how did you install them; did you remove the kmember or did you somehow managed to do it without.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

i did not have to remove the k member i jacked up the engine and removed some other stuff and it was pretty challenging i called MAC today and they said it might be the motor mounts sagging but when i took them off in the first place i inspected them and i looked at them when i put them back on. I made sure and asked them b4 i ordered them if they fit the automatic and they acted like i was a **** dumb*** for asking and they would no doubt fit with an automatic. They did fit every single thing is hooked up on the car except that passenger side O2 sensor. Do you think i could just plug that hole and tap a new place in the collector and weld a thread piece on?
J/W
Thx
Old 02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

No, becuase then your Hpipe will not fit correctly.

This may sound stupid, but I'd recheck to make sure the headers are sitting flush against the motor; I took my kmember out and I could easily see how they would not be on there properly if it was done without taking off the member. (dont even know how you managed to tighten all of the bolts).
Old 02-28-2006, 11:35 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

A lot of talent and patience lol...... why would it mess up the mid pipes if i drilled a hole in the bottom of the collector rather than in the top like it is now. Also i looked at the header where it connected already and that was the first thing i checked when i saw that **** this thing isnt goin in but thx ill recheck everything you told me and im hopeing to hear back from MAC soon. I cant stand not driving it. Im having to drive my parents import car right now............ good lord talk about slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ damn toyota ppl lol
Old 02-28-2006, 11:37 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Oh yea i also had to jack up the engine first to put the drivers side in then rejacked on the passenger side to get the passenger in and it was still hard to get it in but it fit and let back down perfectly.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d_owen44

A lot of talent and patience lol...... why would it mess up the mid pipes if i drilled a hole in the bottom of the collector rather than in the top like it is now. Also i looked at the header where it connected already and that was the first thing i checked when i saw that **** this thing isnt goin in but thx ill recheck everything you told me and im hopeing to hear back from MAC soon. I cant stand not driving it. Im having to drive my parents import car right now............ good lord talk about slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ damn toyota ppl lol
I think you would be OK drilling a new hole and welding some sort of nut on there. Just try to keep it the same distance away from the engine as the old one, aka just rotate the location don't move it forward or back. And your gonna have one hell of a time welding the old one shut while the headers are installed.

Sucks bigtime man, but you are paying for buying MAC products. They are cheaper for a reason.

I thought there were only like 2-3 companys that made LTs for the auto cars?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

I was going to get BBK from the start and that would have been cheaper than the MACS but then supposedly dont fit autos. I love Macs products and i think they are really well made and all my other stuff made by then has been very good. MACs were the only ones i could find to fit an auto though. Oh and yea what your talkin about is what i was thinkin about just moving the hole around the pipe. but im gunna hear from MAC first before i do anything.\
Thx though
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
d_owen44
1st Gear Member

Oh yea there wouldnt be any companies to sell a shorter O2 sensor so that the housing part is just shorter and its just more exposed wire. j/w
Old 03-01-2006, 11:59 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

****[:@] i drove around with my front 02's off. nothing seemed to happend to it. i have them on now but it did run like ****

Quick Reply: Longtube header install