4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

should i take it back????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Default should i take it back????

Well i'm starting to get alittle concerned about the installation of my frpp 4.10's. I had them installed back in november, and i've had a whine ever since. Its not a deafening whine, but you know its there if you listen for it. Also when i get in the car when its cold, it had a rubbing sound, but eventually goes away once its warm. i'm wondering if i had a sh1tty install done, or if i need to just change the fluid. If there was a problem wouldn't have it presented itself already?? Its been over 3 months and i'm hoping the mechanic would take responsibilty for the work if thats the case.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: should i take it back????

When I had my gear put in it made absolutely no noise at all. Did you ask the shop who put it in about it?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

no, i think i'm going back today to talk with them about it. I'm just not wanting to get stuck with the b.s. of "oh well see you should have said something earlier".
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Gear whine is not exactly horrible, it's ACCEPTABLE to have a barely audible gear whine. But, if it's loud enough to get your attention, then you definitely should have it shimmed correctly.

As for that rubbing sound, that may be your clutch.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

the rubbing only occurs when its cold as butt. When its warm out theres not problem. It doesn't slip, and i'll be pulling the engine this summer where the clutch will be replace.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The clutch in my Cobra will make an ugly rubbing/whirring sound after I first start it if it's sat for a couple weeks in cold weather.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Gear whine is not exactly horrible, it's ACCEPTABLE to have a barely audible gear whine. But, if it's loud enough to get your attention, then you definitely should have it shimmed correctly.

As for that rubbing sound, that may be your clutch.
In my 99gt my gears would whine a little. you had to turn off the radio, roll up the windows, and put the car in neutral. Then and only then could you hear it. I kinda liked it. lol
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Ok I looked into the situation alittle more, there is no way it can be the clutch thats rubbing. I started her up thing morning and let it roll back out of the drive way in neutral. It made the rubbing sound! Could it possibly be a wheel bearing??? I had a 93 ranger that i had to replace the wheel bearings, but they didn't make this sound. I'm getting frustrated.[:@]
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

Ok I looked into the situation alittle more, there is no way it can be the clutch thats rubbing. I started her up thing morning and let it roll back out of the drive way in neutral. It made the rubbing sound! Could it possibly be a wheel bearing??? I had a 93 ranger that i had to replace the wheel bearings, but they didn't make this sound. I'm getting frustrated.[:@]
Not an expert on the subject. But I hard worn bearings on my 98GT and it was an obnoxious growling noise, couldn't really describe it as a rubbing sound personally...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

My 4:10 gears whine only in first gear at a low rpm, and it is barely audible. but there is no whine during regular acceleration or driving.

Quick Reply: should i take it back????