4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to the forums, possibly future GT owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:43 PM
ScottUCF84

Default New to the forums, possibly future GT owner

How's it going all! Ok, so currently I drive a 2002 Nissan SE-R spec-v, which is pretty much stock. It's a blast to drive; it's pretty quick, and handles great, but this summer the lease is up, and I am considering buying a different, used car. The SE-R is great, but as for long term reliability I just don't know. Plus it would be nice to get a different car. So anyway for the past month I have been researching different cars, deciding what is best for me. Originally a wanted a WRX or SRT-4, but I noticed how the 99-04 GTs were fairly priced for what they offer, and now I am to the point where I am 90% sure I want one, whether its convertible or coupe. As long as it's a GT, 5-speed, and miles in the 30-60k range. I guess I'd also prefer an 01+ model, as I like the darker headlights

So here are a few questions I'd thought I'd ask:
-How are they with reliability? I know everyone talks crap about domestics, and yes some do suck reliability wise (from experience, I had a 97 Contour that drove me insane), but is the Mustang the same way?

-How much more would my insurance be for the coupe? Convertible? I am 21, no accidents. I currently pay $115/month for the Spec V. I used to pay $200/month back when I lived in Tampa, but now I technically live in Oviedo (right over the Seminole county line) and it dropped drastically after living here for a year. If the insurance spikes A LOT for the Stang, it for sure will sway my decision else where.

- What's everyone's overall impression of this generation of the GT? Interior, Exterior, performance, and modability(if that's even a word) ?

Thanks everyone for your time, and here are a few of my plans for the GT if I get one
-Lime green paintjob, purple graphics
-20 inch rims, air bags suspension
- neons, neons, and more neons

....I'm just joking about all that, heres what I'm actually thinking of (just to start):
-Mach 1 chin spoiler (so simple, but I love it)
-Flowmasters, or whatever exhaust is best (remember, I'm used to imports, I'm really a newb here in a sense)
-maybe a small drop, like an Eibach pro-kit or something
-different rims or powdercoat the stockers
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM
96WhiteGT

Default RE: New to the forums, possibly future GT owner

You on thevboard?? i just sold my V to get a stang....Buy one
Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
ScottUCF84

Lol yeah I'm on the Vboard, over there I am doctaCspecV
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I've had mine for about 30k miles, 00 bought it 2.5 years ago with 45k on it. The only problem I have was the idle air controller, which i just cleaned out (can be bought new for like 70$).
Old 03-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I love mine as well. They have a lot of potential in them. If you can, save up and get a cobra. They have even more potential. They are all nice cars and if you take care of it, you won't have too many problems.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
ScottUCF84

The Cobra is way out of my reach. Those cars are sweet.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:40 PM
jersey98gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScottUCF84

The Cobra is way out of my reach. Those cars are sweet.
not if you lease a 93-01 cobra
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
ForeverFord
2nd Gear Member

CARS! Ya gotta love. If its got an engine that burns gas and tires to turn and burn I love it BUT I Do my best (as in what is totally american made now-a-days) to support my fellow country men and myself the best I can. Beef has more muscle then rice. AMERICAN PRIDE
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Hotwad02GT

Well, I just upgraded from a 95 v6 to a '02 GT about 3 weeks ago so I can't really speak about reliability. Actually my 95 was kind of a lemon, but from reading on these and other mustang boards, I think my car was a relatively isolated case. From all of my research, it seems that the 99+ models are pretty good.

As far as insurance goes, I payed $119 with the v6 and it jumped to $145 for the GT. I'm 23 yrs old, live in WI, and I have only one speeding ticket about 4 yrs ago.
IMO the insurance cost is worth it for the xtra fun. Obviously the Cobra's and Mach 1's are gonna be a lot higher insurance wise. I could be wrong, but I think they are classified as high performance vehicles, which puts them in a diff. cost bracket. Other than the value of the car, my insurance company didn't differentiate between the motors on the v6 and the GT.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:45 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Ive never had any problems with the 4.6L. They are a blast to drive and are very reliable.

BTW...my 01 gt is for sale if your interested

Quick Reply: New to the forums, possibly future GT owner