4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Welp....looks like i'm not gonna S/C now.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default Welp....looks like i'm not gonna S/C now.

I had about 1800 saved up and was gonna get a used p1sc kit from a friend. However, i've been dreading even 6psi of boost on a stock high mileage motor. I'm gonna just wait and do a new forged shortblock and a s/c all at once.

I have the money for a supercharger and tune... however I dont for a shortblock as well, I just cant afford blowing that motor while i still got a year of college left. Everytime I got on it I know I would be scared and I dont want to have that.

Looks like im just gonna do cams, i'll install them myself so it wont cost that much and just save the rest for a shortblock... that probably wont be done for another year . It just sucks... i was hoping for around 375rwhp but I talked myself out of it on the stock motor with around 75k on it.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Welp....looks like i'm not gonna S/C now.

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

I had about 1800 saved up and was gonna get a used p1sc kit from a friend. However, i've been dreading even 6psi of boost on a stock high mileage motor. I'm gonna just wait and do a new forged shortblock and a s/c all at once.

I have the money for a supercharger and tune... however I dont for a shortblock as well, I just cant afford blowing that motor while i still got a year of college left. Everytime I got on it I know I would be scared and I dont want to have that.

Looks like im just gonna do cams, i'll install them myself so it wont cost that much and just save the rest for a shortblock... that probably wont be done for another year . It just sucks... i was hoping for around 375rwhp but I talked myself out of it on the stock motor with around 75k on it.
You should maybe talk to Tim over at MPH. Im pretty sure they have successfully boosted mustangs with over 100k on them and had no problems. I would do it and just keep the boost low, maybe tune it real safe for around 350rwhp or so. Personally I've got 63k and I'm not scared at all, I cant wait to get boosted in about a year or so.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:59 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

yeah man, 75k isn't bad at all, you've got a lot of life left in that stang. now i've got 122k and won't think about a s/c. i think the general rule of thumb is you can s/c as long as it's under 100k
Old 03-04-2006, 03:15 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

My car is right around 70K.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:25 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I've pretty much just psyched myself out though. [&:]
Old 03-04-2006, 04:28 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I'd do it man, get the super.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

I'd do it man, get the super.
It's easy for people to say "I'd do it." Personally, I am scared as hell of superchargers. I see where you are coming from czwalga, this is my daily driver too. And I only have 40k miles. The only way I would supercharge is if I knew a really good shop that has done it plenty of times.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:22 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

What do you mean man?? My car is my daily driver and when I get enough money, I'm supercharging it the first chance I get. With a good tune, it will be a great daily driver. It's all in the tune.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:24 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

What do you mean man?? My car is my daily driver and when I get enough money, I'm supercharging it the first chance I get. With a good tune, it will be a great daily driver. It's all in the tune.

Yeah, but when you have seen 2 cars blow up on the dyno before it can even get tuned........
Old 03-04-2006, 05:27 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Granted there are those very small chances, I think the benefits would be well worth it. Do you know the two people it happened to?

Quick Reply: Welp....looks like i'm not gonna S/C now.