4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

woah, did not know those are knockoff FR500s

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Default RE: woah, did not know those are knockoff FR500s

Typed the salespersonowned wrong...

Its:

Salespersowned :P.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:37 PM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

ORIGINAL: MTShambles

How are they harder to break and more scratch resistant?

They are both cast aluminum rims, made the exact same way. The chromes are chromed the same and the painted finishes have a clearcoat on top.

Im not following this guys logic.
both rims are the exact same quality

just like your guy said, one has FORD stamped on it......which merits a 100$ markup at least
Well, that and another reason.

Ford makes their rims in the US/North America. This means higher production costs as labor and materials are more expensive. These rims are made overseas, where labor and materials are cheaper. We also order in bulk, so that drives prices down as well.

You're right about the FORD stamping though, Ford does like to jack up their prices for parts, replacement or upgrade (1 Front O2 Sensor list is 103.xx! Cost is around $50.00, think about that markup!). The stamped Ford Racing is the only real distict difference between our rims and Fords, plus the added sizes, but that a different topic alltogether.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:44 PM
JonBeast

Knockoffs > Origionals

Same rim, same quality, more options, less money
Old 03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

i have the bullit deep dish rims and they are better quality than my stock ford bullits that i have in the front and i got them at mustangtuning. no scratches or chips or anything like that. i would get the ones from mustang tuning just because i have had experience with them and can tell you its good quality.

also lets say you take a turn and scrape them up and give it a bad look. it will be cheaper to replace them with the replicas then the over priced "real" ones.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
sickspeedgt
3rd Gear Member

im not saying the rims are better or worse quality, but there was a thread on here just the other day about an article in a magazine that said the knockoff products such as edelbrock heads, and electric fans look identical but the build quality is crap compared to the real ones. It never mentioned wheels, i don't see how the wheels could be that different other than the stamp. My saleen wheels are chrome knockoffs, but you couldn't tell if it weren't for the center cap
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

Knockoffs > Origionals

Same rim, same quality, more options, less money
im goin to havta agree

use the saved money to buy sum mods
Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

im goin to havta agree

use the saved money to buy sum mods
+1
Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 PM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sickspeedgt

im not saying the rims are better or worse quality, but there was a thread on here just the other day about an article in a magazine that said the knockoff products such as edelbrock heads, and electric fans look identical but the build quality is crap compared to the real ones. It never mentioned wheels, i don't see how the wheels could be that different other than the stamp. My saleen wheels are chrome knockoffs, but you couldn't tell if it weren't for the center cap
Only thing you might have a difference in is if your rim is Forged, and the only Forged Ford Mustang rim that i know of is the 01 Cobra rim.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

hmm maybe the salesperson was wrong.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

o well he still got me with supply and demand part. I need new tires badly, i've been in need for a lil over a month. So I guess I gotta buy the real ones, b/c everywhere else it all out till end of april. I'm sure at least something will be better about them. And I called mustangtuning, guy said same build quality, only difference is one is from Ford one is from Replica Wheels. But then again, hes a salesperson too. Still stuck with the real ones anyway, just b/c the Replica Wheels are gonna be out for another month.

Quick Reply: woah, did not know those are knockoff FR500s