4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

please read ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:40 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

Default please read ....

ive been on this forum for a cool 2 years now. on and off ofcourse. i havent had a post in a very lng time but now im back. YES , its about gears. YES , i know about the "type it in to search newbie" blah blah blah . if u dont have something good to say to me then dont post something stupid because chances are ive been part of this forum for longer than you so relax and dont preach. thanks . now heres the dilema i have .....

i got a 1999 GT 5spd coupe . i had some 410s put in about 4 months ago. they are fine and dandy , very fun when ur in 2nd gear or higher, BUT 1st gear is usless, u cant race from a stop if your life depended on it, i dont want to buy drag radials because i dont have extra money laying around.

ive never had any experience with 373s though. so heres the thing, im going to hoopers rear end shop tomrrow at 8am to do a swap. im either gonna put my old 327s back in for the sake of my wallet (gas) , and for the sake of fun (ill finally be able to run frma stop again) ...

OR...........

I can give them my used 410s for some used 373s that they have laying around ... HERE IS THE QUESTION

anyone that has any experience or knows someone that has had an experience please just reply for my lack of ability to make a decision.

IF i put in the 373s ... will i have my first gear back ? or are the 373s also pretty worthless without drag radials. im looking to be able to use my first gear from a stop AND to be able to switch into second gear at redline without smoking the tires through out all of 2nd as well... which is what happens with the 410s... i even rip some tire in 3rd gear... its pretty bad. ANYWAYS, im counting on actual experienced gear owners here... anyone with 373s... do u have a hard time getting traction in 1st and 2nd gear or am i better off just throwing in my stock 327s back in the rear end.

******i want to be able to use my first gear , maybe get a chirp when i switch to second, but i want all of second to be usable aswell. theses are my requests. so if you think i could pull this off with the 373s ... say so . if you are sure that the 373s will still give me a mild headache interms of traction , then tell me that my 327s are the way to go .... *******

PLEASE HELP ME OUT . i wish i had expereince with the 373s in a 99 GT but i just dont, so i turn to you lovely folk for help , and i know a lot of u know your stuff because ive gotten tons of help here before. so please help me out guys ...

THANKS A LOT !!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT !!!

-daniel
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: please read ....

I went from the 3.27's to 3.73's and while it was a BIG step from the stockers, it wasn't everything I had hoped for. First gear is definitely a more useable gear with the 3.73's, so I guess it would be a good move for you. If it were me, I would keep the 4.10's and save for some upper/lower ca's. They will really help with traction issues along with dr's.

I now have 4.10's and I have upper/lower CA's as well as DR's. I am now wanting 4.30's. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

In theory Yes... I really dont understand how you cant race from 1st gear... I have 245s all around and i can easily take off in 1st with my 4.10s but anyways...

With 3.73
At 35 MPH in 1st gear, your motor is turning at 5,758.5 RPM

With 3.27
At 40 MPH in 1st gear, your motor is turning at 5,769.5 RPM

So with 373 you lose 5mph in 1st gear where as..

With 4.10
At 30 MPH in 1st gear, your motor is turning at 5,425.4 RPM
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

i forgot to metion that i have just about EVERY bolt on possible dont to my car. AND i have my ENTIRE suspension done up

Including maximum motorsports lower control arms ...

so for me atleast, no for everyone else, my first and second gear are completly useless if i run from a stop ... this is ofrouse with regular street tires... i dont want to invest in DR's though, i know its a good option, but i really just want to stick with reg street tires because i mainly run in the streets and in the canyons, very seldom do i go to the track ...

i hope that info helps

thanks again guys
Old 03-09-2006, 05:59 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I have 3.73's and had the same problem until I installed LCA's. I also have my car up in the relm of no more mods avalable. My 1st gear on 295/45/18's BFG G-force is useless through 3rd gear. Now what I am getting at I have winter tires that I run that are 245/55/17 that is a smaller tire and I have 1st gear back. I just ran these for the first time this year and don't even know the brand of tire.

I hate to say it but the drag radials seem to me to be the way to go.

good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:30 PM
orang04gt
2nd Gear Member

Just a thought, if you can afford to change the gears then why not buy the nitti d/r, you usually get 10k miles on them. I run mine about 6 months out of the year. You'll see a big diff in them. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ager.offset=10
Cant beat 145 shipped
Old 03-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

That is why, even though all the 4.10 guys put up a big stink (probably because so many of them take their cars to the track), 3.73's are a much more usuable gear ratio "overall". I am about to have my 3.73's installed at a highly recommended shop that handles all kinds of rearends. The one question they asked me was what ratio and brand I went with. I told them Ford Racing 3.73's and all they said was it was a wise choice. End of story.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:26 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Don't FEAR THE GEAR
Old 03-09-2006, 07:31 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

That is why, even though all the 4.10 guys put up a big stink (probably because so many of them take their cars to the track), 3.73's are a much more usuable gear ratio "overall". I am about to have my 3.73's installed at a highly recommended shop that handles all kinds of rearends. The one question they asked me was what ratio and brand I went with. I told them Ford Racing 3.73's and all they said was it was a wise choice. End of story.
Didn't all those places get shut down in the 60's?

Sorry, I had to...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

great..... now i have second thoughts about getting 4.10's [&o]

Quick Reply: please read ....