4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just installed my shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default Just installed my shifter

i just got done testing out my mgw shifter and it seems like it is kind of harder to get into gear. i mean it was wayyy shorter but harder to get into gear and i dont want to go through the gears too hard because i dont have any stops on mine cuz it said it wasnt needed for the 3650. should i be worried about the internal stops breaking? also it seems like i hear more gear whine now also. it doesnt bother me that much but seems to be more noisy.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:36 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed my shifter

ORIGINAL: wwmost

i just got done testing out my mgw shifter and it seems like it is kind of harder to get into gear. i mean it was wayyy shorter but harder to get into gear and i dont want to go through the gears too hard because i dont have any stops on mine cuz it said it wasnt needed for the 3650. should i be worried about the internal stops breaking? also it seems like i hear more gear whine now also. it doesnt bother me that much but seems to be more noisy.
did you get shifter gaskets?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:39 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

ORIGINAL: wwmost

did you get shifter gaskets?
i got the shifter gasket from stangmods.com
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

You will have a little more gear whine.

It will get easier to shift once it breaks in.

It does take more effort to shift because you changed the fulcrum point of the shifter to make the shift shorter.

Don't worry about damaging the stops. I think Dan04Cobra had issues with his but that is all I know of.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:45 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Mine isn`t hard to shift at all. Completely different than stock of course. I used the RTV that came with the shifter and took out the shift stops. I do hear a very little whine while going slow with the stereo off but its not that bad. Just about all aftermarket shifters are known to make some kind of noise for some reason. [&:]
Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

My MGW doesn't make much noise at all.. At least none that I really can hear...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

it took like 2 wks of driving and the mgw broke in as it seems, its a lot looser than it first was.. anyone elses like that?, i never bought any gaskets just the stuff included. no whine, it sounds clean, i mean you can hear downshifts and some minor vibrations but over all i feel its smoother than stock.

one problem i had was one of the for screws to bold the shifter down didnt have a washer, its a thin one, i still installed it? is that bad?

Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ok guys atleast im not the only one. i cant believe how short the shifts are. the eisiest is 3rd and 4th. but i think because of the spring inside of the shifter it makes it a little harder for me to go to nutrual to first and second but its not that bad but a little more clunky yea thats how i descrive it as clunky. o well its staying in. ill get used to it.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

ya u will it took me some time, itll break in tho.

but yeh the 3650 is weird sometimes it just feels like the synchros are off.. same for you?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

it took like 2 wks of driving and the mgw broke in as it seems, its a lot looser than it first was.. anyone elses like that?, i never bought any gaskets just the stuff included. no whine, it sounds clean, i mean you can hear downshifts and some minor vibrations but over all i feel its smoother than stock.

one problem i had was one of the for screws to bold the shifter down didnt have a washer, its a thin one, i still installed it? is that bad?

yea it seems smoother but a little more harder to get it into first.

Quick Reply: Just installed my shifter