4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help FAST! Brake Issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 03:46 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default Need help FAST! Brake Issues!!

Hey Guys,

I need help BAD!

I just changed the rotors, pads, and installed an SLP line lock and braided lines.

I CANNOT get the brake pedal to firm up. I used a power bleeder and removed and the air and just clean fluid with no air bubbles came out.

Pedal went right to the floor.

I did it the old school method with my friends and I am not getting air at all at any corner.

I went around to each corner (RR, LR, RF, LF) several times. The pedal has firmed up but still goes to the floor.

I have checked EVERY connection several times and have not found a leak at any of them.

Anyone know what I am missing?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:57 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help FAST! Brake Issues!!

lol i changed my brakes, and wow, it took 2 days of serious bleeding, probably, seriously, 100 attempts. get some self bleeders and just bleed the hell out of it. i just kept my patience, and KNEW that was the problem, air in the system, and kept at it, seriously 2 days =)
Old 03-12-2006, 03:58 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

btw i didnt use self-bleeders, just a tube on the bleeder with the other end in a cup full of brake fluid
Old 03-12-2006, 04:00 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

oh yeah make sure you pump the pedal 3 times firmly, and after that, on the 4th, you have your helper hold the pedal down with ALL OF HIS DAMN MIGHT, no noodle legs here, and while he continues to apply firm pressure, you release the bleeder for a few seconds, and tighten up, while he continues pressure, after you tighten the bleeder he releases, and you repeat this, at least 5x per wheel.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:03 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

im the biggest post *****, because im working off of 2hrs of sleep, so forgive me

i didnt read you installed linelock, did you check the entire system for leaks, and you sure your not losing any fluid? did you have to mess w/ the master cylinder at all when doing those mods? if so that might be it =(

hope you just have air in the system still, like i said it took me a long time to get my pedal firm, mainly because i changed a caliper, and got a lot of air in the system.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:07 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I drained the whole system completely.

I haven't tried cracking the master cylinder because I can't seem to get those loose and I am afraid of rounding them off.

I have checked every connection and no leaks
Old 03-12-2006, 04:17 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

like i said it took me 2 days, i would swear i couldnt get any more bubbles out, but i'd give it a few, pump my brakes a lot, and go back at it, and i would get some more out, and seriously after like 300 pumps and 100 releases of the bleeder, i had a firm pedal
Old 03-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

New lines are going to have a lot of air in them.

You'd be surprised how many times you will have to bleed the system just to get even a light pedal.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:14 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

V8 2005 Mustang GT Premium 4.6L 3V 5 speed automatic w/ OD.

does anyone know how much brake fluid is needed to completely drain and refill brake fluid?

also is there any problem w/ using AP600 brake fluid for normal street driving.

...as i have been known to boil brake fluid.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

You are looking about 2 quarts.

If you boil brake fluid you are certainly driving the crap out of the car. It is very uncommon to boil brake fluid in a daily driver. If you want to run a Dot 5 get Dot 5.1 it is the non-silcone based fluid. Silcone based fluid is bad!

I got they system bled. The master cylinder needed to be bled. Seems much firmer now but I probably will do it again because the pedal seemed soft after the high speed slows to set the pads and after they cooled.

But it could be a function of they aren't as firm as I thought they should be.

Will see.

On a side note. The line lock works

Quick Reply: Need help FAST! Brake Issues!!