4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tire question????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Default tire question????

once I get my 4.10's and a tuner I plan on getting tires.... but I want AMAZING street tires and I want to know if the ones I have picked out are a thumbs up or down... if you disagree can you tell me the ones that you think are better?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...97&rd=17&ar=45
Old 03-17-2006, 12:44 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: tire question????

They aren't that bad (by the ratings). Your traction can only be so good with such a skinny tire, though... if you bump up to some real wide ones you'll have MUCH more traction (and be paying about that same price per tire [&:]).

If you want good traction on the street, get a set of drag radials.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

They aren't that bad (by the ratings). Your traction can only be so good with such a skinny tire, though... if you bump up to some real wide ones you'll have MUCH more traction (and be paying about that same price per tire [&:]).

+ 1 Nothing else will give you a good launch with 4.10's. BFG G-Force DR II's Get some 275's.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

+ 1 Nothing else will give you a good launch with 4.10's. BFG G-Force DR II's Get some 275's.
thanks guys
Old 03-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Does Not Exist
4th Gear Member

how long do drag radials usually last?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boostin95cobra

how long do drag radials usually last?
Not very. I bet my BFG's wouldn't last more than 4-5k miles if I left them on. I have them on an extra set of wheels as track tires. Nitto's are DR's with a longer treadlife, but to gain the extra life you loose grip and launching power. But for a daily driver that needs the mileage and wants superior grip, they are good and last longer.

I run 245/45 Hankook Ventus on the street. I always htought the hooked decent (compard to my old bridgestones and Falkens) but they suck ***** compared to the BGF DR's.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:04 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Quite a bit less than street tires... The Nitto 555r's are supposed to get you 15k miles... but expect a little bit less than that... Most other drag radials are not much less than that.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:29 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Start with getting bigger wheels. You'll need at least 9" front and 10" back rim widths. Run 255/40's in the front and 275/35's in the back. If you plan on using your car primarily at the track, go with drag radials or Nitto 555's. If you plan on putting any reasonable mileage on you car per year, forget the drag radials unless you want to buy new tires every 6 months. With 4.10 gears you will definitely need the wider tread on the pavement.

Looks like you may be spending too much for the tires you listed. They are cheaper at Tire Rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....place=2#Survey

Also check the comparison chart. Price does not always go hand in hand with good performance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Top rated tire in this class is very reasonably priced:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....place=1#Survey

Good luck with your ride!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:45 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

as far as tread life is concerned,, YOU have alot of control over that,

i bought MT ET Street Radials almost 3K miles ago. I am showing VERY LITTLE to no treadwear.
Ive been to the track with them once thus far, but the most important part is HOW i drive daily. I'll be honest, in those 3K miles, i squeeled my tires at stop lights or stop signs 2!!! times. Two times, and honestly, when i get the car back out in 2 weeks, im gonna want to beat on it some. So im thinking about getting some regular crappy tires for the back (even though im not sure, i dont have, nor can i afford extra wheels)

If you drive normally, and dont tear the tires to hell at every light, im sure you can easily get 15K out of a set of Nittos

BFG and Mickey Thomspon might be kind of pricey for daily tires considering they are a softer, more track worth tire when compared to nittos.

If i wanted DR's for only the road, i'd probably purchase nittos. Good luck
Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I have nitto drag radials, I love them. I bought them for the tread life. I wanted a radial that would get me a spring/summer length. I only payed 360 for both of them too.

Quick Reply: tire question????