4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

No real performance gain, but looks a lot better

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: No real performance gain, but looks a lot better

Don't flame me, this is just hearsay, which I have seen posted on this board numerous times....

I know you were just going for looks, and you didn't care about the gains, which is cool... It looks a lot better indeed. BUT, I have read that the aluminum intake pipes actually make you LOSE HP. I know you weren't aiming for any gains, but I sure wouldn't want to be losing HP.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:28 PM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

No flaming here, the aluminum pipes do not make you lose power that is a myth that they let the heat transfer in from the engine compartment, in actuality, the air is moving through the pipe at far to great of a velocity to get any real heat transfer anyway, I prefer the tube over the stock one because of the looks and the inside is smooth so there should be less turbulence in the intake charge,,,,,,,,,,
also, more deals, today on ebay I won a diblosport predator tuner for 250.00 like new condition and just got a white faced GT gauge panel with blue backlighting for 6.75. I love no reserve auctions, lol,,,,, will post pics and stuff when they arrive
Old 03-18-2006, 10:40 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

heat soak really only matters when idling and when the air is moving slow enough to be affected.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:54 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

hey mike dude that looks good, i wish i xould spent domey on my car instead of it sitting in the garage getting fixed with 6 thousand GD miles on it. POS
anyway nice work man!!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:04 PM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks man, Hey make sure you let me know when you figure out whats wrong with yours, I am really curios
Old 03-19-2006, 01:30 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

No flaming here, the aluminum pipes do not make you lose power that is a myth that they let the heat transfer in from the engine compartment, in actuality, the air is moving through the pipe at far to great of a velocity to get any real heat transfer anyway,
Makes sense now, I can see that.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:46 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver03gt

No flaming here, the aluminum pipes do not make you lose power that is a myth that they let the heat transfer in from the engine compartment, in actuality, the air is moving through the pipe at far to great of a velocity to get any real heat transfer anyway, I prefer the tube over the stock one because of the looks and the inside is smooth so there should be less turbulence in the intake charge,,,,,,,,,,
also, more deals, today on ebay I won a diblosport predator tuner for 250.00 like new condition and just got a white faced GT gauge panel with blue backlighting for 6.75. I love no reserve auctions, lol,,,,, will post pics and stuff when they arrive
pay with paypal.

or you're ****ed if he didn't put the stock tune back on his.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:56 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Yea, I pay for everything w/ paypal, I won't bid on auctions when the seller doesn't accept it,,,,,, I did ask the seller first, he said he loaded the stock tune back in and the yuner is un-married to the car,,,,, find out for sure when it arrives.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silver03gt

Put part of a cai in and cut my airbox for a little better airflow,,, no mztter what, the aluminum tube looks ten times better than the stock black one, and I figure there must be much less turbulance in the flow.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Getting back to the original post. Great job silver!!! I did the same thing over in 3.8mustang.com when I had my sixer in. I called it my "Frankenshot" intake. I get flamed by quite a few but I also got a few kudos. I'm glad to see that most that replied to your post really appreciate improvising a little to save a bit of money. I love the look man. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

any time you can save money for the same desired result, it is good.

It looks good to me and does as much good as any CAI would.

George

Quick Reply: No real performance gain, but looks a lot better