4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WHAT IS UP WITH MY CAR!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default WHAT IS UP WITH MY CAR!?

Hey guys, ok a little history.... my car was hesitating when ever i got on and it sometimes bucked when i let off the gas below 2k rpm. I figured it might have been a slight mis-fire so i replaced all the plugs, put in a new fuel filter and checked all the vacuum lines just to be sure.

Well it seems as if all of that was in vain because it still does the same damn thing! i'm sick of this sh*t, if i'm in traffic i have to push in the clutch every time i let off the gas so i don't look like a retard [:@] Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: WHAT IS UP WITH MY CAR!?

What gear are you in and what mph are you traveling at when it does this?

All Mustangs have a rather loose driveline feeling to them. It will clunk and bank below 2,000 rpm's in any gear when you let off the gas. You are most likely lugging the engine and just upsetting the snot out of the driveline.

My 02 GT was noisey, clunked and banged and felt like it was bucking. My Cobra does the same thing and I have no issues with my cars.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Mine did the same thing below 2k rpms... bucks quite a bit.. will clunk a bit when you take off or let off the gas.. no hesitation when you get on it though.. it'll put you in your seat.. After I got 4.10's I am almost never below 2k.. so I honestly dont have that bucking feeling as often now.. but I dont drivein traffic situations very often.. small towns rock!
Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i know how driveline slack feels. ok, picture trying to bump start a car and forgeting to turn the key on. when i let off the gas the car gets all jerky and stupid for a little bit
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You are so low in RPM's it's really no surprise you are feeling it.

My GT would buck once or twice. When I got 4.30's it actually got rid of the driveline clunk completely.

I'm willing to bet that's your issue. You've already done a tune -up, the car runs fine otherwise, sure sounds like your lugging the engine and then getting out of the gas, which will bounce the loose drivetrain all around.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

nope, trust me i know what i'm telling you, this isn't right. it never used to do it before, and when i punch it the car seems like it stops to think before going. and when it does go it doesn't even feel all that fast
Old 03-19-2006, 09:21 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

run some injector cleaner, clean your IAC and your MAF, check your PCV, and see if that helps?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Any check engine codes? How many miles are on the car? ever done a tuneup?

Could be something with the TPS... those have been known to cause weird things.

Aside from your exhaust, what has been done to the car? (even maintenance stuff too)
Old 03-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Brute03

nope, trust me i know what i'm telling you, this isn't right. it never used to do it before, and when i punch it the car seems like it stops to think before going. and when it does go it doesn't even feel all that fast
Alright, sounds crazy, but what did you use to turn off your CEL for your off-road mid-pipe?

I had similar issues with my o/r h-pipe because I used Steeda MIL's and it took nearly a month before they failed and I was able to figure out why the car was being stupid.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:26 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yep I would say it's tied into those if he doesn't have a tuner

Quick Reply: WHAT IS UP WITH MY CAR!?