4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Diablo Predator Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Default Diablo Predator Question

Hey guys, I did some searching before posting this (and read through the DiabloSport website) but couldn't really find the answers I was looking for. My friend's brother-in-law is selling his GT and is offering me his Diablo programmer for $200. It sounds tempting, but I don't know too much about the programmer.

First and foremost, do I have to run 91 octane in my car with this programmer? And if I do, does the supposed MPG gain validate the extra money for the gas? I have to commute regularly to school (~30 miles there and back) - are there different "profiles" I can use on the device for different types of driving? I briefly saw on the website they had an Economy Performance Tune, Xtreme Performance, etc. Are those something I can change on the fly (i.e. Before I leave my driveway or pulling into a parking lot and switching)?

Also, do I have to take my car to a shop to be able to use this thing? Or is it as simple as plugging it in and letting it do its thing? How about inspections? I was told I'd have to take it off and drive 100 miles without the programmer before getting it inspected (NY State).

I think that's about it. Hope it was coherent. Thanks for any help!

Edit: I meant programmer, not chip.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
RiseAgainst

Default RE: Diablo Predator Question

To find out about the tunes you are going to have to ask your friends brother-in-law because chips are not all the same, also I believe with chips they have a specific ECU code entered into them making them only good for vehicles with the same code. So I'm thinking if you bought this chip, you would have to have it redone.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
96cobra10101
3rd Gear Member

You have to get it tuned for your car. If you run a car w/out a chip it will run like crap. If you have cats you should pass ur inspection. Finally, gas. If you are worried about gas, forget about moding your car or go buy a civic. Why do people keep posting about saving gas, but they want to get performance out of there cars?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I may have mixed up some of the wording in my original post. This is what I was referring to:

Finally, gas. If you are worried about gas, forget about moding your car or go buy a civic. Why do people keep posting about saving gas, but they want to get performance out of there cars?
I know I drive a V8 and I know it's not great on gas. God forbid I ask a question that relates to the programmer's intended functions.

From the website:
From original factory calibrations, the predator allows you to quickly choose from multiple dyno proven performance to economy calibrations, ...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:01 PM
04GTMustangRob
2nd Gear Member

i used one on my car. i have to use high octane only because I advanced the timing. you can use the predator and not advance your timing. every little perameter of the tune can be changed.

though, your bud will have to set his car back to factory tune before you can use it.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04GTMustangRob
i used one on my car. i have to use high octane only because I advanced the timing. you can use the predator and not advance your timing. every little perameter of the tune can be changed.

though, your bud will have to set his car back to factory tune before you can use it.
I appreciate the input. I do remember reading that he has to reset to factory tune before I'd be able to use it. Do you have any other mods with it?

Anybody else care to chime in?