4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MAGNAFLOW QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MAGNAFLOW QUESTION

i have h-pipe and magnflows and they dont sound very good id say x the h pops to much at low rpms
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

It's your choice. My MagnaFlows are just perfect. Nice even rumble at idle and throaty under mild acceleration. Fairly quiet at cruise and nasty under hard throttle. MagnaPacks are LOUD!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

ORIGINAL: Wick001

I have a question for yall, what MidPipe goes best with the Packs?
From all the clips I've heard...I'd say a catted X
can you install the midpipe yourself, i mean is it possible to get at the manifold to take out the stock midpipe?

What is involved
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

I love my magnaflows. I have a cat-back system that sounded pretty good when i had my stock H-pipe, but i wasn't impressed. Then i got my magnaflow catted x-pipe and they sound great now. I wanted a little bit more musclely sound, but the catted h was like 200 dollars more and now that the x-pipe broke in a little it sounds great. If your looking for something that has a nice quiet sound until like 2000 rpms then magnaflow is the way to go. If your looking for a really nice and louder sounding exhaust under and above 2000rpms then magnaflow may not be for you.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rauchle05

if your wanting your car loud, be sure not to buy magnaflows. like everyone else said if your wanting somthing a little loud go with magnapacks. magnaflows are never loud but sound pretty good at WOT.
WTF??! I have an Magnaflow O/R X and Magnaflow catback. My car won't burst your eardrums at a cruise, but it definitely gets loud. For me they are perfect. No loud annoying raspy popping at 20-30 mph when I'm cruising on on a residential street. But when I accelerate, you know I have an aftermarket exhaust. And ti absolutely screams at WOT. Best of both worlds if you ask me. A nice low and noticable rumble at idle. Much louder than stock at idle, but still very calm and not poppy i.e. chambered mufflers. Again mine screams like a banshey at WOT and I get complimented on it all the time. I'm sure my midpipe plays a part in my cars loudness, but magnaflows definitely are loud when you give it the gas
Old 03-21-2006, 05:28 PM
RiseAgainst

Yes, you can install the midpipe yourself. It's not a difficult install, however it will most likely take several hours.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys...I hate making decisions like this, but it always helps to have peoples input who actually own the exhaust...looks like another frustrating night of listening to sound clips....
Old 03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I'm a mechanical tard and I did just fine.

I had more trouble getting the passenger side tail pipe on than I did uninstalling the old X and installing the new X and I was working in the driveway.

I was told by the Magnaflow people that the Magnaflow and the Magnapacks offer the same performance and that sound is the only difference between the two catbacks.

As far as my catted-X goes, I don't have any rasp or any popping, just some rumbling when downshifting. It sounds great and I'm happy with it. I'm curious to see what the sound is after 'break-in' that I've been reading about.

can you install the midpipe yourself, i mean is it possible to get at the manifold to take out the stock midpipe?

What is involved
Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 PM
AmericanMetal

I've got the 03 GT too, stock H-pipe and Magnaflow catbacks and am one happy camper. Lemme tell you I LOVE their sound - no raspiness or popping at all on mine, just a sweet low rumble which can be blasted a bit more at WOT. Eventually might make it louder with a Prochamber or Magnaflow catted H, but volume matters less than the actual tone and extra hp to me. And the tips are real nice. Had them pulled out a few inches beyond the bumper just in case the heat would damage it, and later noticed how awesome it looked that way.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

What is involved
Old thread brought back to life, lol. But now i can answer this, yes the midpipe install is pretty strait forward. Took me a couple hours, one of my o2 sensors was cross threaded in and I couldnt get it out of the stock pipe so i had to take a break to go buy a new o2 sensor...but other then that it was pretty simple, just took some time and lots of crawling on my back. lol

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLOW QUESTION