4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Block info

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Short Block info

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

I've been looking at the VT stuff for a while now. I think when I am done driving the car this summer and we pull the motor for the build I am gonna go with the VT Sportsman shortblock, topped with a P51, VT Stage 2 blower cams, and seriously debating the heads that VT offers. (220/195....think they are Stage 2), then surround all that with my current bolt on list from the stock 281. SO basically, I'll have full exhaust(BBK LTS + o/r H, slp lmIIs), Accufab 75mm tb + plenum, and JLT TCAI + gears and cf driveshaft. I am undecided on the s/c as of yet. My dad is trying to talk me into the KB(2.2L but not sure about 20psi. maybe run 14-16), but I am leaning towards the centri(prolly Vortech). So where we go after the motor is done, I don't know.

On a side not, Mitch, I don't really want to harass the fellows at VT until I am ready(already called twice just to browse and get info), but what do you think of that setup? Anything I am forgetting, that you would surely include(since you've already built and blown a few lol)?

I know my clutch and flywheel will be changed around that time too.
Well, if you go with the P51, you won't need the plenum.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:28 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I've been looking at the VT stuff for a while now. I think when I am done driving the car this summer and we pull the motor for the build I am gonna go with the VT Sportsman shortblock, topped with a P51, VT Stage 2 blower cams, and seriously debating the heads that VT offers. (220/195....think they are Stage 2), then surround all that with my current bolt on list from the stock 281. SO basically, I'll have full exhaust(BBK LTS + o/r H, slp lmIIs), Accufab 75mm tb + plenum, and JLT TCAI + gears and cf driveshaft. I am undecided on the s/c as of yet. My dad is trying to talk me into the KB(2.2L but not sure about 20psi. maybe run 14-16), but I am leaning towards the centri(prolly Vortech). So where we go after the motor is done, I don't know.

On a side not, Mitch, I don't really want to harass the fellows at VT until I am ready(already called twice just to browse and get info), but what do you think of that setup? Anything I am forgetting, that you would surely include(since you've already built and blown a few lol)?

Ah yes...forgot about that... was just listing what I currently have...

Do you think the forged internals will be what I am looking for, or should I go billet? I talked to either a Tim or a Jim(didn't understand what he said) at VT a couple months ago when I called and he threw some numbers at me for both. He was really eager to help, but he's definitley on a whole different level than I am. My goal is basically an 11(maybe give 10s a good run) second car with good streetability. My engine builder is Jerry White who dabbled in NASCAR engine building in late 80s and early 90s and currently is just the guy around here to go to I guess. He's trying to get me to stay N/A, but I don't think I am going to get where I want with a 2v 281 without f/i.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Ah yes...forgot about that... was just listing what I currently have...

Do you think the forged internals will be what I am looking for, or should I go billet? I talked to either a Tim or a Jim(didn't understand what he said) at VT a couple months ago when I called and he threw some numbers at me for both. He was really eager to help, but he's definitley on a whole different level than I am. My goal is basically an 11(maybe give 10s a good run) second car with good streetability. My engine builder is Jerry White who dabbled in NASCAR engine building in late 80s and early 90s and currently is just the guy around here to go to I guess. He's trying to get me to stay N/A, but I don't think I am going to get where I want with a 2v 281 without f/i.
With a built 2V and a small shot (125hp), a low 11 second car would be easy. The billet is very nice, but "I" felt it was a little out of my reach and really didn't need it for my application. Sounds like you talked to Jim....both Jim and Scott are very helpful and eager to answer questions.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

^^^^^Aren't the MPH engines built by VT?
prolly
Old 03-24-2006, 11:26 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Code if you don't mind what kind of prices did you find out there. I basically will want a complete forged bottom end so I can run more boost with a S/C. Second in you opinion is it worth getting stage 2 heads at the same time and making it a complete long block?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:07 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: mlax

Code if you don't mind what kind of prices did you find out there. I basically will want a complete forged bottom end so I can run more boost with a S/C. Second in you opinion is it worth getting stage 2 heads at the same time and making it a complete long block?
My engine was right around $10K and around another $4K for items such as headers, injectors, thermostat, JLT, etc.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:54 AM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Wow that is a large chunk of change! Maybe I am dreaming but I had hoped to be able to get a forged short block installed for around 5k. Then another 5k for a vortech LT's tune etc.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:12 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: mlax

Wow that is a large chunk of change! Maybe I am dreaming but I had hoped to be able to get a forged short block installed for around 5k. Then another 5k for a vortech LT's tune etc.
You can get a shortblock for 5K easily....heads and extras are what start adding up.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:13 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

As far as heads go how are the Patriots? Or would you go completly with the same manufactor as the block?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Patriot makes great quality heads. Some of the best I've seen.

Quick Reply: Short Block info