4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Block info

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Default Short Block info

I will eventually buy a forged short block. I have read that VT makes great engines (CODE) but who else is out there? There are several that I have read about, DSS, Coast High Performance, Fox, etc. Of course all these have different price ranges. First who makes the best for the dollar. Second has anyone purchased one and was it everything you expected. Last has anyone had major problems with theirs and would recommend that I stay away from a specific manufacture. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
GTkyle
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Short Block info

Hiperformer Remanufactured Engines Has some pretty good prices shipped on their rebuilt engines (they include heads though, so not necessarily a short block). I've never dealt with them nor do i know anyone who has, but the engines are rebuilt with higer performance parts than stock. IMO it's the best bang for your buck.

Jasper Engines I have heard a lot of good about, i hear their rebuilt engines are nothing noticably different than new. Just some possibilities if you want to spend less money....
Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

VT, Fox Lake Racing, Livernois, DSS. VT is one of the best bangs for the buck. Alot of companies charge extra for stuff like ARP head and main studs that VT include in their price.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

http://modularpowerhouse.com/product...49c308e67f4635

I have been looking at this
Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

^^^^^Aren't the MPH engines built by VT?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:17 PM
mlax
2nd Gear Member

Code I know you speak very highly of VT, in your search who else did you speak to? I have heard some mixed thinds about DSS. Has anyone else rebuilt or replaced their short block or possibly even bought a long block.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: mlax

Code I know you speak very highly of VT, in your search who else did you speak to? I have heard some mixed thinds about DSS. Has anyone else rebuilt or replaced their short block or possibly even bought a long block.

I talked to CHP, VT, DSS and SHM. We had a DSS SuperMod shortblock in the Mrs' S/C Stang...quality was good and she's still running as strong as ever with 14spi of boost. When I was looking around for the engine for my car, I called DSS first and got a baseline price. I then called SHM and CHP, I was not impressed from responses like, "uh...umm..hold on....um...let me check". That really pissed me off because I was very sure in the direction I wanted to go. When I called VT, the guys there, answered all of my questions right then and there...no holding. They also asked the RIGHT questions.

Throughout the build, I changed some things, like cam size, oil pan, intake and they were very helpful. Also, they kept in constant contact throughout the entire build and they still contact me and ask how the engine is doing. I HIGHLY recommend them.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: mlax

I talked to CHP, VT, DSS and SHM. We had a DSS SuperMod shortblock in the Mrs' S/C Stang...quality was good and she's still running as strong as ever with 14spi of boost. When I was looking around for the engine for my car, I called DSS first and got a baseline price. I then called SHM and CHP, I was not impressed from responses like, "uh...umm..hold on....um...let me check". That really pissed me off because I was very sure in the direction I wanted to go. When I called VT, the guys there, answered all of my questions right then and there...no holding. They also asked the RIGHT questions.

Throughout the build, I changed some things, like cam size, oil pan, intake and they were very helpful. Also, they kept in constant contact throughout the entire build and they still contact me and ask how the engine is doing. I HIGHLY recommend them.

thats good customer service.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:41 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

i'm very intrigued, I may consult them when I get the funding for my engine

o man I want a fresh engine. But mine has super good compression just burns a bit of oil... runs fuggin awesome tho

Old 03-24-2006, 06:05 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

I've been looking at the VT stuff for a while now. I think when I am done driving the car this summer and we pull the motor for the build I am gonna go with the VT Sportsman shortblock, topped with a P51, VT Stage 2 blower cams, and seriously debating the heads that VT offers. (220/195....think they are Stage 2), then surround all that with my current bolt on list from the stock 281. SO basically, I'll have full exhaust(BBK LTS + o/r H, slp lmIIs), Accufab 75mm tb + plenum, and JLT TCAI + gears and cf driveshaft. I am undecided on the s/c as of yet. My dad is trying to talk me into the KB(2.2L but not sure about 20psi. maybe run 14-16), but I am leaning towards the centri(prolly Vortech). So where we go after the motor is done, I don't know.

On a side not, Mitch, I don't really want to harass the fellows at VT until I am ready(already called twice just to browse and get info), but what do you think of that setup? Anything I am forgetting, that you would surely include(since you've already built and blown a few lol)?

I know my clutch and flywheel will be changed around that time too.

Quick Reply: Short Block info