4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BAD night...could get worse

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Default BAD night...could get worse

Ok the night started off good. Few beers and back to the house. On my way home I noticed my car was pulling a lot towards the side of the road. At first I just figured I needed to get my alignment checked. After about 20 min the pulling got really bad so I decided to pull over and check it out. As I was pulling over I hit one of the reflectors in the road and it sounded like my tire was coming through the floor, immediately I knew something was wrong. When I got pullled over I saw that I had a flat tire on the front passenger side, not a big deal but being the "street racer" that I am, I had no spare. I was only a 1/2 mile or so from the house and it was midnight so I decided to chance it. I got home with no problems, bought new tires the next day (275/40/17 which went to the rear) and figured I was done. Well the next day I noticed a loud rubbing noise coming from my front right side when I hit the brakes, and sometimes a grinding noise. My car also "jumps" a lot more when you slightly push the gas at higher mileage, like when the slack of the driveshaft tightens up. Could running a flat tire mess up my brakes??? I have the stock bullitt wheels with 245's in front and 275's in the back. Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: BAD night...could get worse

Maybe the few beers and driving had something to do with it? Sorry if I come off sounding like an A$$, just voice my thoughts on drinking then driving.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

I understand Code. I agree. I went against everybody's will and bought 275's for the stock wheels. I think I made a mistake. They are good tires and all, but they DO bulge a lot on the stock wheels. My next mod will definitely be a set of wider wheels.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Maybe the few beers and driving had something to do with it? Sorry if I come off sounding like an A$$, just voice my thoughts on drinking then driving.

^ - I tend to agree with code3GT on that subject.

Anyway, did you or anyone bother to look at the underside of the car while it was on the lift getting the tires replaced?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

It was on a frame lift when the tires were being changed. Nobody said anything to me about anything being out of the ordinary, but then again they weren't looking for anything. It really seems to me that the brakes are sticking/rubbing, but could a flat tire cause this?? I kinda got mad when I was driving earlier tonight and punched it at around 60mph, when I hit about 80 it seemed to give way and pick up speed a little. This is something kinda strange to me.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

OK I took a quick look at my car this morning. Everything looks to be ok but I did notice some odd dark circles on the rotors of the wheel that went flat. The dark circles are about the size of a dime and are very noticeable. Could this be a serious problem? I won't be able to change the brake pads until this weekend. Do you think it could be something worse than just the pads?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Sonicpilz
2nd Gear Member

Has nobody ever had brake problems?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

How many beers?

Might want to check under the fender.

Might be a Geo or Kia lodged up under there there.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:08 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

Has nobody ever had brake problems?
nope when i had my struts/shocks/springs installed mechanic said my rotors were completely dead.. even though still stopped on a dime. but he showed me the rotors and ya they were shot.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

I dunno I had metat on metal on one brake and my rotor was fine

Quick Reply: BAD night...could get worse