4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A lesson learned. . .Never get an ebay intake!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:49 AM
nystateofmind27
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A lesson learned. . .Never get an ebay intake!

I really don't see what the big deal is... the piping is just like brand name aftermarket CAI, they have poly or rubber interconnects with regular clamps, and the filter is K&N or an imitation. What's so bad about it? I'm leaning towards operator error, like nanaki said.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yeah I have heard a lot of success. I'm probably going to get one and will take my time installing it and do it right. It looks almost identical to the brand name ones just w/o the sticker

George
Old 03-29-2006, 02:19 AM
98HossGT
2nd Gear Member

sorry to here about your luck

i installed my bbk 70mm TB and plenum tonight and i found my filter to look like this picture
Old 03-29-2006, 02:30 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ebay does suck a lot sometimes. i ordered a walbro 255lph fuel pump about 2 months ago, opend it up everything looked to be there. so today i was going to install it in my new pump assembly...and guess what? the pump was WRONG. 99% of my supercharger is all set just mostly waiting on the friggin pump...and they sent me the wrong one. the junk it came with was right, the installation stuff...but the pump itself was wrong. hard to tell at first glance too. needless to say i had a granatelli 255lph overnighted from jegs, will have it tommorow.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:17 AM
red96gtconvtbl
2nd Gear Member

I too have heard a few success stories, but I've also heard of several horror stories from the ebay brand intakes. I personally wouldn't trust them. K&N does so much research and fits each intake specifically to certain makes and models or cars. I don't think the ebay brand intakes do a very good job of this. If you're really handy you could probably get away w/ the ebay brand intake, but I highly doubt you are gonna find one thats a perfect fit like a K&N would be.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:52 AM
GTkyle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawwk11
The other day i heard a story on the radio where some women bought an ipos Nano off ebay so she thought. When it arrived it was just a nano box and since it did say that it was a new nano box there was nothing she could do about it so it cold have been much worse. Oh yeh and she paid 300 bucks.
I watched an Xbox 360 BOX go down for 700 bucks on Ebay late last year, he said several times it was jus the empty box. Anyway back on topic, that is terrible to hear, if my car didn't have a CAI on it already i would never hang my nuts out there for a hit or miss chance with one of the cheap ones, especially if it could mean the life or death of your engine.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:18 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Mine is awesome, i gained 4 miles almost to the gallon, and the engine sounds great, i lucked out i guess, cuz i liked mine. I did repolish, i and i swear it looks just as good as mine friend' BBK
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

i had an ebay brand intake on my old car and loved it. i spent 30 bucks shipped and everything was there, fit perfect, and had it for a good 8 months.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: nanaki

hrmm. there's more people that report success than failure like that. i'm thinking operator error.
the rust thing though? That's just the cheap sheet steel used for the airbox.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

I bought a mac

Quick Reply: A lesson learned. . .Never get an ebay intake!