4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Advantages/Disadvantages of a Manuel/Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 01:03 AM
MustangGTftw
2nd Gear Member

Default Advantages/Disadvantages of a Manuel/Auto

Can you inform me?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 AM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Advantages/Disadvantages of a Manuel/Auto

advantages of manual: fun, faster (unless you have an 10-11 second car and under), chicks like it.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Black98GT
1st Gear Member

Automatic is exactly what it sounds like...shifts at a specific rpm under normal driving and under redline in passing gear. Manual means you get to shift the car when you want so you can redline it through all the gears if you should so choose to do so. I've noticed also that moving from a 97 V6 Mustang that was an auto to my 98 GT thats a 5 speed that I actually get better mileage with stick then automatic (nothin like driving around town at 35mph under 1.5krpm). Just my 2 cents. Im new to stick myself so im sure that this is only a minor benefit. Automatics I would venture to say (depending on the drivers shifting in a manual) are easier on the car then stick and in a drag where consistency is key will do better then manual.

Later and goodluck,
Seth
Old 03-29-2006, 01:09 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yup, manual has the advantage of fun, can be quicker in many instances, DEFINITELY better MPG with a 5 speed, also if it has problems you can usually work on it yourself. I've never done a trans before and I am having success pulling it apart.

Automatic is great for a daily driver if you don't plan on doing many mods because you just get in, put it in D and go. Keep the trans fluid fresh and it should be good a long time.
Automatics are great for bracket racing where consistancy is key

George
Old 03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
MustangGTftw
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the input, but heres my idea. I recently bought an automatic 99 gt. I want to buy and install and diablosport tuner. So what im thinkin, if i set the shift points at around the redline, would it really be any different then a manuel? Or am i totally off?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Manual - Fun
Auto - Boring
Old 03-29-2006, 01:16 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

i know autos can be very fun with a tuner from what I've seen.

you can set it any way you want, redline will make it similar to a manual but without the chance of error

George
Old 03-29-2006, 01:24 AM
MustangGTftw
2nd Gear Member

haha, thanks george, your like the first person to not gimmie crap because i got an auto instead of a manuel =D. I knew it had potential, specially with tuner.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 AM
e5cmb

I have 98' Auto with a 3.73 gear that hasn't yet been tuned or chipped, but is a ton of fun. It's all in the way you drive it. I often shift my auto into the gears manually just for the "fun" and sport of it. I feel that when racing or at the track, it is often the driver and his/her expertise than that of the car (similiar cars anyway). :-) Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGTftw

Thanks for all the input, but heres my idea. I recently bought an automatic 99 gt. I want to buy and install and diablosport tuner. So what im thinkin, if i set the shift points at around the redline, would it really be any different then a manuel? Or am i totally off?
Get 4.30's, shift kit and tuner. You will be SMOKING 5speeds left and right. That will REALLY wake that car up.