4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

Default New buy

Hey all. I am pretty new to this forum. I have transferred I guess you could say from the dodge forum. I just bought a 2004 40th ann. gt. It is a 5 spd, and seems to have aftermarket dual flowmaster with tips and the factory h-pipe. I noticed that it has pink colored injectors. Not sure what stock color is though. I was also wondering how to tell about any mods done to the motor. I was able to do a standing burnout the other night through second gear. Was wondering if this was normal or if there may be some aftermarket items internally?

Any input would be great. Thank you

Raymond
Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New buy

How good are the tires. If your tires are crap then you could rip em all day without moving. I think my injectors (stock) are pink, at least thats what I think I remember. I doubt if you have only flowmaster catback that anything serious has been done to your motor internally. Check for headers under the hood. Pretty obvious to tell that headers aren't stock on the car. Is the air intake stock? Check the throttle body and uper intake plenum, if the plenum still has the running horse on it then it is stock. If throttle body looks like it's afte market (doesn't appear to be that dull cast iron color) take off the air intake and measure the diameter. Stock throttle body is 65mm. Take a pic of the motor and post it. I bet it's stock, but a lot of guys here could make some clear observations very quickly. I doubt you have heads ported and polished, cams, etc. Hope that helped some, but a good pic would help to let you know if anythin is basic is done. Most people start with basic mods, unless they have loads of money like Code and his sweet a** ride.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks. The intake is stock, the throttle valve assembly still has the running horse on it, the tires appear to be fairly new (they are some off brand I have never heard of -tech 4000- or something of the sort) I do not think it has any headers, and it must not be cat back.

The car seems to run really well though. I have owned v8's most of my life (all of 20 years so far) My first vehicle was an 84 f150 with a big block 460 and a c6 with a shift kit.

I have always loved the mustangs and was finally able to get one.. I am just trying to work all of the bugs out that are questions in my head.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04 40th gt

Ok thanks. The intake is stock, the throttle valve assembly still has the running horse on it, the tires appear to be fairly new (they are some off brand I have never heard of -tech 4000- or something of the sort) I do not think it has any headers, and it must not be cat back.

The car seems to run really well though. I have owned v8's most of my life (all of 20 years so far) My first vehicle was an 84 f150 with a big block 460 and a c6 with a shift kit.

I have always loved the mustangs and was finally able to get one.. I am just trying to work all of the bugs out that are questions in my head.
Stock tires are goodyears, if you don't have them, the last owner did some burning I know the last owner of my stang did, all four goodyear tires were bald when I bought my stang at 7500 miles.

The flowmasters are the catback, it's just the section of exhaust from after the H-pipe to the exit. If you've got the factory H (four cats), you probably don't have headers either.

The stock 19# injectors are pink.

A burnout in second is perfectly normal

Your stang seems EXACTLY like mine, the only thing I can find the last owner did was put the catback on... since then I've made some minor mods (BBK CAI, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, then I worked on the appearance by adding a Mach 1 chin spoiler, and side stripes... last thing I did before winter was add my 75 shot of the juice... bolt ons won't get you far! For Christmas I got the Cobra brake upgrade for front and rear brakes... fronts are now a red caliper, two pistons, 13" rotor slotted and drilled, rear is still a one piston caliper, red, 11.65" rotor, slotted and drilled. Now that winter is over, I needed new tires, so I got chrome saleen wheels, 18x9 for the front, 18x10 for the rear, fronts are wrapped in BFG g-Force KDW tires in 265/35-18 size, and the rears are the same tires in 295/35-18 size... that covers all my changes to date... my plans for end of this summer if I can save enough is to drop for a KB... everyone here has their heart set on a Vortech, so I want to get a KB to be different and hopefully prove that they don't suck ).

Edit: Mods were in that order. I'm glad I got the CAI because it was easy to tap for my nitrous nozzle and I can still put my stock air assembly back on because it won't have a hole in it ... it didn't really add any power though.

My best time before I added the nitrous in my mod timeline, with the stock bald tires I got a 14.205 @ 97.61 MPH. The track opens up April 30th, I can't wait to get down there and run with the juice... Bringing my stock tires and wheels along too because I don't mind burning the last of them off and they're a LOT lighter than the chrome saleens. The new brakes were heavy too (2x the factory brake equipment weight), and it's more unsprung weight but I'm not taking those off.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Thats cool. Most likely stock under the hood then. If you are looking for some basic mods to start with some people go throught he following basic bolt ons:

Exhaust (You already got that taken care of)
CAI or RAI (My suggestion JLTtruecoldair.com)
Plenum and Throttle Body (Check stickies, article I wrote about Pleum Dyno numbers)
Headers and x or h pipe (I would go with long tubes)
Underdrive Pullies (Don't get the piggyback style, get a kit with a new SFI certified crank damper)
Tuner (SCT or DiabloSport, people will argue all day about which is better, both are good if you ask me)
Gears (That's up to you, some sy 3.73, some 4.10, again people will argue all day about which is better)

That is all the basic bolt ons. Afetr that you get into much more expensive things, heads/cam or maybe supercharger, but htats when you start getting into some serious HP. Anyway, go to the stickies if you have questions about any of these, plenty of good posts in there about all of the above.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

stock injectors are orange
22 lb injectors are pink