4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:08 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Supercharger?

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

So basically, if you want to hear the whine get an S trim??
Lol they are both S-trim...the difference is V1 or V2 SQ but both are S-trim (same size). And if you want to hear the "whistle" really loud get a V1.
v1 is the first version vortech. the v2 model comes in sc and sq. the sq trim is the "super quiet" version. the impellers are what make it quiet. also the sc model supposably cac spin 3000 rpms faster.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

For everybody that went with the Mongoose Kit from MPH...did you get a dyno tune after you installed the SCT tune done by Tim or was just installing the chip good enough??

Here is everything i came up with so far that I would need to make the comlpete install...let me know how it looks

Mongoose S-Trim kit
Stock Pulleys
Clock gauge pod with a/f and boost gauges

Thats all that i can think of to make the complete install...
Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

For everybody that went with the Mongoose Kit from MPH...did you get a dyno tune after you installed the SCT tune done by Tim or was just installing the chip good enough??

Here is everything i came up with so far that I would need to make the comlpete install...let me know how it looks

Mongoose S-Trim kit
Stock Pulleys

You use Tim's tune, but you are supposed to get a dyno and have your AF ratios checked and everything. Then if there is anything wrong with your AF ratios you can send Tim the graph and he will tweak the tune and mail it back or something. Not sure exactly how it works, but I do know you are supposed to get a dyno to have your AF ratios checked after the install.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

okay, sounds like thats what ill do then...how does the list of stuff i listed sound to make the complete install?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

Mongoose S-Trim kit
Stock Pulleys

You use Tim's tune, but you are supposed to get a dyno and have your AF ratios checked and everything. Then if there is anything wrong with your AF ratios you can send Tim the graph and he will tweak the tune and mail it back or something. Not sure exactly how it works, but I do know you are supposed to get a dyno to have your AF ratios checked after the install.
You get a SCT Xcal 2 handheld with tim's custom tune on it. It is the type you plug into the port under the dash.

You can tune the fuel curves yourself if you need to tweak the tune after you get it on the dyno. I don't think your gonna have to, Tim told me the dyno run is mostly to check the install and make sure you don't have a bum fuel pump or injector.

97, you really should go with the SQ trim blower. It won't be loud, but none of the centrifugal blowers are going to have the 03 cobra sound anyway. Tim has proven it makes more horsepower with equal setups.

If I were you I would get it setup for a 8 pound pully and then install the MPH powerpipe while doing the install. That should get you to between 9 and 10 PSI. I would not go past 10 PSI on a stock shortblock.

BTW, why would anymore boost "wear the wrist pins"??? The real problem with more boost is the possibity of detonation, and simply that you make to much RWHP on the stock shortblock. Gotta be careful with them ****ty stock pistons, or you will melt a hole in em with too much boost.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

does the mongoose kit with the s-trim already come with a 8lb pulley? Like, is the stock boost set on the s-trim 8lbs??
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

does the mongoose kit with the s-trim already come with a 8lb pulley? Like, is the stock boost set on the s-trim 8lbs??
Vortech will pulley it to whatever MPH specifys. You don't have to worry about setup or pulley size, MPH will take care of all of it. All you need to do is tell em your setup and what you are looking to do.

Get the SQ!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

well thats good to know i dont have to deal with all that pulley sh**...i only wanted to go with the S trim becuase i want to hear the whine...its music to my heart
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

well thats good to know i dont have to deal with all that pulley sh**...i only wanted to go with the S trim becuase i want to hear the whine...its music to my heart
Know that it isn't gonna give ya the 03 cobra sound, that high pitched whine. I have not heard a centrifigual that does.

The S is louder, but I don't think it is that much louder, and the stealth aspect of the SQ is oh so cool. I won't even put my "vortech supercharged" licence plate cover on cause I want to stay under the radar. Nobody expects anything from a late model GT, which makes it even better
Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

that's true...i always compare s/cs to the cobra's so thats probly why im expecting such a noise

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger?