4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Heads and Cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Stever

Default Heads and Cams

Ok, well I would really like to get a SC but money is tight. I have talked with a speed shop that I have done business with in the past and they tell me that to work on the heads and to put after market cams in would be around three grand including labor. that's about $1000. - 1500. less than a SC. Well that sure is a lot of money too. and yeah, i have made some modifications w/my exhaust, intake and gears but i think if i could get about 300hp to the ground i would be happy. what do ya'll think? do ya'll think that the price they quoted me is about right?

Stever
Old 04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Heads and Cams

ORIGINAL: Stever

Ok, well I would really like to get a SC but money is tight. I have talked with a speed shop that I have done business with in the past and they tell me that to work on the heads and to put after market cams in would be around three grand including labor. that's about $1000. - 1500. less than a SC. Well that sure is a lot of money too. and yeah, i have made some modifications w/my exhaust, intake and gears but i think if i could get about 300hp to the ground i would be happy. what do ya'll think? do ya'll think that the price they quoted me is about right?

Stever
Save just a little longer and get a blower. 3000 bucks for 300 RWHP < 4000 bucks for 400 RWHP. My kit was 3905 to the door.

BTW, I would definatly not take 4.6 heads to a shop that has never done a port job on them before. Everything I have seen says it is easy to take out to much material and end up making less power instead of more.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:07 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

isnt 400RWHP pushing the stock motor WAY too hard?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

isnt 400RWHP pushing the stock motor WAY too hard?
I am right around 420 RWHP on the stock shortblock/heads.

MPH has a stock engine car (with supercharger cams) making 440 RWHP safely.

450 is right aorund the limit. I didn't want to make more than 425 just to keep it safe.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 AM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

o so you can make 450 to the wheels on a stock motor and its all good? I did not know that. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

o so you can make 450 to the wheels on a stock motor and its all good? I did not know that. Thanks.
i wouldn't say it's all good...every car is diferent. you could have the exact same setup on one car and it would be fine and the next car blow, but 400 rwhp is all good!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:04 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06mustang88

i wouldn't say it's all good...every car is diferent. you could have the exact same setup on one car and it would be fine and the next car blow, but 400 rwhp is all good!
I agree every car is different, however I wouldn't say 400 rwhp is all good either u can very easily blow a motor with 400 rwhp.

To the thread started you are definitely better off just saving up for the supercharger. IDK if this is an option for you but nitrous will get you to your mark real quick and alot cheaper and probably safer as well. To get to 300 rwhp N/A you are going to need basically every bolt-on including P&P heads and some nice cams, which is going to cost you quite a bit. Supercharger will be around $4K for the supercharger alone then if u want to run 400+ rwhp safely you will need a built bottom end. If you arent stupid with the nitrous you can easily hit that 300 rwhp mark and save yourself a ton of money.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:24 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Like I said I would not go over 425 RWHP on the stock shortblock just to stay on the safe side

425 is right on the "safe" limit in my opinion.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:29 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

I agree every car is different, however I wouldn't say 400 rwhp is all good either u can very easily blow a motor with 400 rwhp.

To the thread started you are definitely better off just saving up for the supercharger. IDK if this is an option for you but nitrous will get you to your mark real quick and alot cheaper and probably safer as well. To get to 300 rwhp N/A you are going to need basically every bolt-on including P&P heads and some nice cams, which is going to cost you quite a bit. Supercharger will be around $4K for the supercharger alone then if u want to run 400+ rwhp safely you will need a built bottom end. If you arent stupid with the nitrous you can easily hit that 300 rwhp mark and save yourself a ton of money.
You don't need a shortblock to make 400 RWHP reliably. I am making 425 safely on the stock bottom end. Several shops have cars in the 440 RWHP range.

If you have a good tune and run 93 you should have no problems with 400 RWHP. Bad tunes kill cars, not horsepower (up to a point anyway).

The tune is just the thing. So long as you have an experenced shop tune the car, you will be fine. Like I said, MPH has a car making 440 to the wheels with a stock shortblock, and a good tune.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

You don't need a shortblock to make 400 RWHP reliably. I am making 425 safely on the stock bottom end. Several shops have cars in the 440 RWHP range.

If you have a good tune and run 93 you should have no problems with 400 RWHP. Bad tunes kill cars, not horsepower (up to a point anyway).

The tune is just the thing. So long as you have an experenced shop tune the car, you will be fine. Like I said, MPH has a car making 440 to the wheels with a stock shortblock, and a good tune.
I agree the tune is definitely a vital part, it definitely does not mean you are safe for sure though. There are many many other factors that determine how long the car will last. I'm sure there are cars with 400+ rwhp that last along time and I'm sure there are cars with 400+ rwhp that dont last longer than a month.

Quick Reply: Heads and Cams