4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My buddy has a '98 GT, need performance suggestions for birthday present

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Sonicfury

Default My buddy has a '98 GT, need performance suggestions for birthday present

Hey guys, my buddy's 21st b-day is coming very soon and some of my buddy's friends and I would like to get together, pool some money, and get him something to put some life into his GT.

It's a 1998 4.6L GT and already has a ram air hood and Catback exhaust.

We'd like to keep it around $300. I'm thinking along the lines of a K&N or possibly BBK cold air intake. Whatever will give the biggest boost in HP for the money I guess.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My buddy has a '98 GT, need performance suggestions for birthday present

Yeah, the CAI is a good idea. A midpipe is good, but not sure you'll find one for $300 unless you go with an O/R type.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Sonicfury

Default RE: My buddy has a '98 GT, need performance suggestions for birthday present

Thanks for the reply, are you talking about the likes of an X-Pipe?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 PM
JonBeast

Are you guys hands on? If so, get him a midpipe and install it yourselves. A shifter would be pretty cool too. CAI's just...aren't very fun. Something to give him a mean rumble would be pretty cool.

I would suggest 4.10 gears hands down...but your gonna need more than 300 when its all said and done.

If you don't have the tools to do it, you guys should steal his car, and have the midpipe installed and then come rumbling up to his house on his bday
Old 04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: Sonicfury

Thanks for the reply, are you talking about the likes of an X-Pipe?
Yea, an o/r X or H pipe.

Do you know what kind of catback he has?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

rofl. o ya man cai will give you a whopping 2hp !!! 300 bucks... if you dont have emissions o/r x if you do then id suggest tb/plenum combo. throttle response + a couple of ponies... 10x better then some crap a$$ CAI
Old 04-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Sonicfury

I don't know what kind of catback system he has, but I will find out. Thanks for the heads up on the cai. It doesn't sound like a very effective upgrade.

You guys are making it sound to me like a midpipe would be the best idea. None of us are really "hands on" so it would need to be professionaly installed. And sneaking the GT away from him would be extremly hard lol. Any suggestions on whether an X or H would be better, or what brand/model I should be looking at?

What's a tb/plenum combo?

Thanks a bunch, guys
Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

Go X-pipe and look at Bassani, MagnaFlow, or SLP...really not a hard install at all as long as you can get underneath the car comfortably
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
karmstrong_2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicfury

What's a tb/plenum combo?

Thanks a bunch, guys
tb = throttle body, which is what the air intake connects into

plenum = intake plenum which is what the throttle body connects to and then connects to the top of the motor
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
JonBeast

Well, if he has a flowmaster catback....and you get him an o/r h......it will sound like my car.

Check the vids in my sig for some sound clips.

Quick Reply: My buddy has a '98 GT, need performance suggestions for birthday present