4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header Installation Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Header Installation Advice

I have heard horror stories about how much fun it is to install LT's on our cars. Does anyone have any advice or How To's on exactly how to install the headers. Anything to watch out for? I know you gotta lift the motor a bit to get them in. If anyone has a little write up on the steps I think it would be helpful. I have heard estimated times from 8 to 16 hours. I am looking foward to the fun knuckle busters.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:51 PM
IPSgreg

Default RE: Header Installation Advice

drop the k member. People ask why would I do that, isn't that more work? No, it will save you time in the end. Just mark the location of everything when you start, put it back there.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

Dropthe K-member, c'mon guys give me more, I'm hungry for details. Pleassssssssssseeeeee!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Don't mean to be a complete downer, but it took my professional mechanic 8 hours to get them in. So your looking at more like 2 days worth of work to be honest.

He said the hardest part was the passenger side, because there are so many clearance issues with the K member and motor and all that other crap.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

I know it's gonna take a long time, but I have vacation coming up in two weeks and I am gonna tackle it then.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
IPSgreg

ORIGINAL: Dragon02GT

Dropthe K-member, c'mon guys give me more, I'm hungry for details. Pleassssssssssseeeeee!
Once that k member is out of the way it is VERY straight forward.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:31 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I know it's gonna take a long time, but I have vacation coming up in two weeks and I am gonna tackle it then.
Yea definitely do it. Good practice and you will save A LOOTTTT of money. My bank account to a nice hit for the install, I will never do that again. Time for me to start doing the dirty work.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

By the way, does anyone reccommend the locking header bolts from Ford that are like $45 for 16 bolts. I cant imagine that the bolts would come loose. I know that all hardware is included with the headers, I am getting them from RPMoutlet, does anyone know if they include the locking bolts, and if not should I buy the ones from Ford, is it worth it? Has anyone had any problems with headers bolts coming loose, I owuld think they would almost tend to seize up due to the extreme heat by the headers.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Righty tighty, lefty loosey?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Dragon02GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Niteryder

Righty tighty, lefty loosey?
Funny, actually what I was looking for is some people use a cherry picker to lift the engine, others just loosen the motor mounts and tilt the engine one way then the other to "lefty loosey" the manifolds off then "righty tighty" the headers on. I was wondering which way was easier, or if anyone had experience doing it both ways and found one more efficient than the other. I apologize for not posting something in the TECH forum like "which bumper should i get" or "i want 500 HP and only have $300, what can I do". Maybe next time I'll reconsider my post because all I seem to get are smart remarks from some people. Maybe next time I'll ask if my cat-back exhaust is gonna give me 20 more HP on the dyno.

Quick Reply: Header Installation Advice