4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My 2003 GT - Salvage Title - Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

Default My 2003 GT - Salvage Title - Value?

I need some advice from some folks with some experience with buying/selling cars, specifically rebuilt/salvage titles.

I'm trying to figure out a good idea of the value of my Stang. It's a 2003 GT with 16,000 miles on it. I have several thousand dollars worth of parts in it. The car runs perfect, handles like a dream; there is not a damn thing wrong with it. It had some minor frame damage which resulted in a salvage title but the frame damage is so minimal there is no noticeable change in the handling/alignment.

16,000 miles.

It's got:
4.10 gears
SLP Exhaust system - Loudmouth I catback, catted X-Pipe, LT Headers
Steeda lowering springs (quite low, over 1.5", closer to 1 3/4" or so)
Steeda Subframe Connectors
Tri-X Shifter
Accufab 75mm Throttle Body/Plenum combo
C&L Cold Air Intake
Cobra front bumper
Cobra rear bumper (modified - "cobra" filled in)
Cobra R rims (chrome)
315 rims/tires on the rear
All badges removed, holes welded up
Diablo Handheld Tuner

Again, it's only got 16k miles. I have the title in hand; car is completely paid off.

I have to sell this thing. I just had a guy say it's barely worth 10k. I say bunk.

Somebody help! This is depressing.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My 2003 GT - Salvage Title - Value?

usually dealers will only offer you like 10-15% of the value if it had a good title.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I'd probably agree with him. sorry. the only way I would ever buy a salvage title car would be if I personally knew the person who owned the car, and I know most people feel this way. part it out and get it closer to stock and you might get a few more bucks for it. I'd buy the tb/plenum and maybe the catted x pipe.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I will buy the tuner
Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

$8000 on a good day... Sorry, but that really ruins the value...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

I would buy it if i knew who fixed it, and had pics of the damage. I would have to say though the most u can expect is around $11G or 12G. My truck has a salvage title, drives perfect, nothin wrong with it. So just b/c it has a salvage title doesnt mean it is a cluster f**k. Anyways, good luck with sellin it, wish i would have known b4 i bought my gt!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
torched04
2nd Gear Member

with nething salvage or repo usually a cardealership will take it for alot less than kbb because the usual private seller and carfax will both cringe at the site of a car accident or whatever it may be that happened to the car. SO when a person comes to look at it they will see this and not want to buy it unless one you get a huge car guy who will want to buy the car even thou and you have proof and the problems and documents proving the fix or minescule effect of them. Or someone who wants to part it, my advice to you is part it out and make more money than what you can possibly sell it for just for the fact that it has a bunk title.

I have only seen one car with a salvage title at a car dealer and it was an 1999 m3 selling for 11000 with 3000 miles on it so see what happens with a crappy title.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
roaddog

A slavage title is not the end of the line with your ride. What state do you reside in?. In Mississippi, you can apply for a clean title if you file the proper paper work and get it inspected by The Highway Patrol. You have to have before repair pictures and After pictures. You have to have recipts from where all you picked up the parts or farmed the work out to get the vehicle back in road worthy condition. You then pay M.H.P. $70.00 bucks for the inspection and they perform a excorcisim on your "Salvage" Title and you will receive the "Clean" title in a few weeks in the mail.
So far as the value.....basically, you have just a doner car right now and it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for the parts off of it.
Also as a side note, if you get caught driving a "Salvaged" Title vehicle in the State of Mississippi, you will be hit with a $10,000.00 dollar fine. You can not buy a tag neither for it till the Title has been cleared as "Salveged" .

Old 04-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Dalthius
2nd Gear Member

I've heard of a lot of states/insurance companies that would not "recognize" a salvage-titled car. However, I had no problem getting my car insured (USAA) or registered (North Dakota). What's funny is that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle. I've had mechanics look at the car (the frame) and basically scratch their heads over it. They say, yeah, there is noticeable damage, but the damage is so insignificant they can't believe they branded the car "salvage". I think it's crazy. I know the best bet, honestly, is keep the car. It's a beauty and fast as hell. If I didn't need the damned money I'd take her down to Texas with me, but I'm getting out of the military in a few months and every penny will help in my transition to the civilian world. A guy offered me 13 grand for it, even with the salvage title, so I think I'll probably take him up on it. Another guy offered me 15 but could not get the loan from the bank. I think I'll jus cut my losses and take what I can get.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

it wasn't labeled salvage because of the amount of damage, rather the TYPE of damage. Bent frame (significant or not) compromises the crumple zone of whatever area is damaged, thus negating the safteiness of the cars original design.

Quick Reply: My 2003 GT - Salvage Title - Value?