4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! Key Broke off in the ignition, what do I do???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:14 AM
MysticVenom96

Default Help! Key Broke off in the ignition, what do I do???

I was able to get the broken peice out but, now I have 1 broken key. Can I just go to a key maker and have me make a new one? Or do I have to go to the dealer to get a new one, were 96 keys's coded? Plus now I have no car to drive, is there any way to start it, or am I gonna have to get it towed to the dealer to have a new key made, it was my only key. Is there anyway around this so I dont have to shell out all this money for a dang key plusPlus I wont have a car for a few days? Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Key Broke off in the ignition, what do I do???

should have your ignition key code in parts at your local dealer... but... you could always just install a new tumbler... but that you should leave to the dealership since you don't have a key... basically it's a pia job that I wouldn't want to do.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

A good key cutting place or locksmith can make you a copy from a broken key, and if it is a pats key, as long as you have the big plastic part of the key inear the ignition a regular key should still start it, good luck
Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 AM
MysticVenom96

ORIGINAL: silver03gt

A good key cutting place or locksmith can make you a copy from a broken key, and if it is a pats key, as long as you have the big plastic part of the key inear the ignition a regular key should still start it, good luck
So if I bring the key to a key cutting place, and have a new one made of the 2 peices. I will be able to start it without bring it to ford to get it programmed?
Old 04-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

is your key a small head or a big head? Otherwise any new key has to be reprogrammed... takes 10 min at least because of the pats module.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:08 AM
MysticVenom96

ORIGINAL: Krusher

is your key a small head or a big head? Otherwise any new key has to be reprogrammed... takes 10 min at least because of the pats module.
Its a Big headed Key for A 1996 GT. Like this

Is there anyway to disarm the "Pats" so I can just get a key cut a a key cutting place, so I dont have to get raped at the dealer for 10 mins of thier time to program one?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

no, no way to disarm it... try and you mess up the pats module which will stop your engine from starting... that's the whole point of the module... to stop your vehicle from being stolen

Walk up to the dealership and tell em what happened... show them the broken key... they'll probably do it for free... I know I would so that you would come back for something else if you needed repairs... 10 mins and even the service advisor should know how to access pats.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:31 PM
MysticVenom96

ORIGINAL: Krusher

no, no way to disarm it... try and you mess up the pats module which will stop your engine from starting... that's the whole point of the module... to stop your vehicle from being stolen

Walk up to the dealership and tell em what happened... show them the broken key... they'll probably do it for free... I know I would so that you would come back for something else if you needed repairs... 10 mins and even the service advisor should know how to access pats.
I wish they would do it for free, but just got quoted 50 for a tow to the dealer, then the dealer said 60 to make a key. This sucks because I am dead broke and in the process of moving and I dont have a car now to drive
Old 04-23-2006, 02:16 PM
MustanggtCorey
1st Gear Member

get the vin. Call the dealership, they'll make you one in 10min. I got mine made for 10 dollars. (I got it through the place I work at though, but still shouldn't break your pocket)
Old 04-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

those keys aren't cheap, that's where the $60 comes from... get a blank off ebay for cheap like $10, go to walmart have them cut it and bring it (with the vehicle) to the dealership. If you were close I'd do it for you since I have my own PATS protocol in my laptop at work.

Quick Reply: Help! Key Broke off in the ignition, what do I do???