4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Carfax

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Default Carfax

Before purchasing a used car we all know you can do a used car history report, my ? is what requires a repair shop to enter the vin # into the system is there like a law that requires them to input it for major repair such as engine work etc, How does this work? Because things like oil changes are obviously not in there and i want to know if there is anyway that something that should be in a history report not be in there because thats a scary thought.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Carfax

In my experience Carfax is bs. My car was wrecked before I bought it. The dealership did a nice job of disguising the damage, and on the car fax report it came up clean.

It wasn't till a year later (after a minor accident) when I was getting body work done the guy told me the front end had been wrecked and he started listing the problems. Needless to say I was quite pissed, but couldn't do anything about it. Ive been fixing things ever since...

I then asked the guy at the shop if the work he was currently doing would be listed on a carfax, he said no. Something about them not having the technical capabilities to have it listed. But Im not sure if he knew what he was talking about. I've been curious, but haven't felt like wasting the 20 bucks to see if it ever came up.

From what i've learned, you gotta really get down and look at every inch of the car for any signs of body damage/repair and everything else. I learned from my mistakes. Dont ever just go by a "clean carfax" report...
Old 04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
eclipsegt
2nd Gear Member

yea carfax is bs. I would still check it if your buying a car but dont trust it entirely. kind of like a radar detector use it as a guide but keep your eyes open. My eclipse was in 2 accidents by family members which had about 8000+ dollars of damage each time and I sold it as a clean carfax haha and the guy never knew because it was "clean"
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, guys
Old 04-24-2006, 06:51 PM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

no carfax is correct. the only thing that will go on carfax is if the accident was reported to insurance. say i get in a wreck and run into a truck, the guy is cool, i didnt hurt his truck but my bumper, hood and radiator is crushed. if i dont tell insurance, then my insurance doesnt go up, therefore they dont fix it and u pay out of pocket to fix the car. but if u do call it into insurance then ur payments will go up and u have to pay the deductiable. but many peoples wrecks are less then there deductiable, so they dont tell there insurance cause they dont want higher prices and they will pay the deductiable anyway. so as long as insurance doesnt know anything, then neither does carfax. before u buy a car always go to a dealership such as ford/dodge or who ever makes the car and pay the $30-50 fee and they will do a end to end inspectiona and let u know anything that is dangerous and they will do the car fax reports also when u bring it in. so u get mechanics to look and u get the carfax also