4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

factory head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
gotboost
2nd Gear Member

Default factory head unit

ive got a 99 gt and the cd player dosnt work ne more and ford dosnt make them ne more. Does ne one know where i can get a new ford cd player for my car. I dont want a aftermarket one i want the origanal
Old 05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: factory head unit

well I would sell mine If I had time to buy and install an aftermarket CD player.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:42 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

well I would sell mine If I had time to buy and install an aftermarket CD player.
Yeah same here, lol. Except I don't want to spend money on something like an aftermarket CD player...just a waste of money for me since the stock one sounds fine. lol
Old 05-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gotboost

ive got a 99 gt and the cd player dosnt work ne more and ford dosnt make them ne more. Does ne one know where i can get a new ford cd player for my car. I dont want a aftermarket one i want the origanal
What type of CD player do you have?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

What is your reasoning for wanting the original? You can get a decent deck for cheap now.

If you are keeping it original because of value, don't worry about it. It's not going to effect anything.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM
spederman
2nd Gear Member

Isnt it a giant pain in the *** if you dont get OEM ford Cd player. I thought that because of all their proprietary wiring crap its really hard to wire in an aftermarket unit. I heard people usually have a ton of problems because either your amps wont turn on anymore or your speakers dont sound the same and half of them wont work. Unless you ditch the factory amps and stock wiring etc... its a pain. But i have also heard that might be only on 2001 and up, so maybe somebody else will chime in that knows for sure.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Mine died not to long ago.. got a sony replacment deck.. mp3/wma compatable (meaning I can put around 100 songs per CD).. and an aftermarket deck, especally on the mach460's makes a huuuuge difference in clarity/loudness.

My old deck still kinda works.. you have to thump it a few times when you first start out.. then anything over track 8 it will start reading in the middle of one of the first 4 tracks randomly... but your welcome to it if you want it...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spederman

Isnt it a giant pain in the *** if you dont get OEM ford Cd player. I thought that because of all their proprietary wiring crap its really hard to wire in an aftermarket unit. I heard people usually have a ton of problems because either your amps wont turn on anymore or your speakers dont sound the same and half of them wont work. Unless you ditch the factory amps and stock wiring etc... its a pain. But i have also heard that might be only on 2001 and up, so maybe somebody else will chime in that knows for sure.

Its not the deck thats the problem, its if your wanting to wire new amps in place.. ford has some really funky setup with the mach 460's.. to replace the deck you pop it out with the funky little tool for ford decks, hook the old harness into the adapter/harness kit you can buy anywhere you buy your deck, and pop the new one back in its place and call it good. 15 min job.. least on my 00v6 and my 97 cobra it was.. if they changed it after 01 then who knows?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

you know how the mustangs have 2 audio decks? one for the radio and one for the CD player? If you bought an aftermarket CD player, which one would you install, and what would you do about the empty space where the other deck would be?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

you know how the mustangs have 2 audio decks? one for the radio and one for the CD player? If you bought an aftermarket CD player, which one would you install, and what would you do about the empty space where the other deck would be?

You take both out and they make a place holder for the spot the CD player used to go. slides right in tight.. its the same height as the cd player used to be and about 4" deep.. actualy hold a few cd's or coins or what ever. You dont just get an empty space. I can take a pic when I get home if you want.

Quick Reply: factory head unit