4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake Piston

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

Default Brake Piston

I tried replacing my brake pads this past weekend but ran into some trouble and ended up having to keep the old ones on.

When compressing the piston, I first tried using a pair of needle nose pliers. After much work with little progress, I went out and bought the compressor tool from Advance Auto. The damn thing does not fit the piston! Can someone please give me some guidance (or point me to a tool that works) on this issue? I really need to replace my rear brakes ... soon!
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Brake Piston

Use a C clamp. Works well.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Use a piece of wood and a large c-clamp, wood goes on the piston and c-clamp pushes on the wood. Make SURE you open the bleader screw when you push the piston back in.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

...I tried the C clamp too, albeit without the wood. [:@]

My dad was with me the whole time and neither of us could get it.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:30 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Niteryder

Use a piece of wood and a large c-clamp, wood goes on the piston and c-clamp pushes on the wood. Make SURE you open the bleader screw when you push the piston back in.
Really, you dont need to open the bleeder. Take off the cap on the master cylinder. Put a rag around the master cylinder to absorb any fluid that may run over as you push on the piston. If you haven`t added any fluid since the last brake job, you shouldn`t have any fluid running over.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

If you can't force the piston back in and you know you are using plenty of presure on in.. The inside is likely corroded and the caliper needs to be replaced.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Really, you dont need to open the bleeder. Take off the cap on the master cylinder. Put a rag around the master cylinder to absorb any fluid that may run over as you push on the piston. If you haven`t added any fluid since the last brake job, you shouldn`t have any fluid running over.
With an ABS system, the bleader screw NEEDS to be open.. Pushing fluid backwards can wreck the ABS unit.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

If you can't force the piston back in and you know you are using plenty of presure on in.. The inside is likely corroded and the caliper needs to be replaced.
Correct. They should go back in fairly easy.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

With an ABS system, the bleader screw NEEDS to be open.. Pushing fluid backwards can wreck the ABS unit.
Not to argue, but NO. It wont do any damage to the brake unit.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Not to argue, but NO. It wont do any damage to the brake unit.
Ok, been a certified mechanic for 13 years. It's your car.

Quick Reply: Brake Piston