4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

valve stem seals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: valve stem seals?

so im looking at finally doing this, since im already in the middle of replacing the timing chain tensioners and oil pump. I'm just concerned about the ease of replacing the lash adjusters and stem seals with the enging still in the car. I know it CAN be done, but it looks like there may be some clearance issues while using the compressor tool. Any advice?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
4.6LPoppy
2nd Gear Member

I did this recently. But I had the engine on an engine stand. Its going to be really hard to do this with the engine in the car. You can get the valve covers out OK, but you have to get to the seals which are below the springs. To do that you must remove the springs. To do that you must remove the cam followers and the cam. To remove the cam you have to remove the front cover to get the chain off. To remove the front cover you must remove the front two bolts in the oil pan. To do that you have to remove the harmonic balancer, pumps, hoses, widgets, five golden rings and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but it is doable, but not easily doable with the engine in the car. I described this from memory, so I might have missed something. And.....maybe I'm wrong. Anyone?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

I already have the timing chain cover and chains off. However I was asking if anybody has done this work with the cams/springs still in the engine? It is possible to do it with the below linked tool, but i'm still not sure how easy it would be (clearance for the tool) with the engine in the car. Anybody try it?

http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=4464
Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

I have used that tool and it works well. I had to modify mine a little bit for the romeo motors. You should be able to use it in the car just fine. I do my major repairs on an engine stand and thats where I used that tool fyi.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fyouceeku

I have used that tool and it works well. I had to modify mine a little bit for the romeo motors. You should be able to use it in the car just fine. I do my major repairs on an engine stand and thats where I used that tool fyi.
thanks man. Im just worried about clearance for the tool once I get near the firewall and strut towers. If you think it'll be fine i'll give it a shot then.

In another thread OXFORDGT said that there is a 'spring stop' to go along with this tool to prevent bending a valve with the spring compressor. did you use that as well? thats again for the help.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

also... just to clairify... this tool can be used to replace lash adjusters with the cam IN the engine, correct?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 AM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pete1665

ORIGINAL: fyouceeku

thanks man. Im just worried about clearance for the tool once I get near the firewall and strut towers. If you think it'll be fine i'll give it a shot then.

In another thread OXFORDGT said that there is a 'spring stop' to go along with this tool to prevent bending a valve with the spring compressor. did you use that as well? thats again for the help.
No I didn't use that spring stop. It is something else you have to juggle while removing your springs. Just go down the minimum you need to get the keepers out. I really think the "extra" tool is there so you dont damage the valve stem seals when removing the springs.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

i found the valve guide seals and lash adjusters at sean hyland motorsports here...

Seals - http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...0277ad2f1f3691

Lash Adjusters - http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/...0277ad2f1f3691

these the correct ones? I think i might order the seals online, but my local parts store has the lash adjusters for about 10bucks a peice (which still seems like a lot) rather than sean hyland's 17bucks. anybody know somewhere else to get these parts? i've seen the lash adjusters a bit cheaper on ebay but im weary of buying them there.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
paulstang
3rd Gear Member

I used that tool recetly for my dohc. and it can be done without removing the cam. I just had to modify the tool a little more to make it fit. There are clearance issues at least with me but once you get started and get the first one done the rest are easier .
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

thanks paul. where did you buy the tool from. everywhere i've looked they seem to be going for about 100bucks. just seems like a rip.

Quick Reply: valve stem seals?