4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hole in CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default Hole in CAI

I currently have a K&N cai but it is drilled for my nitrous aplication. When i get my SC (in like 2 years or soo there expensive) do i have to get another CAI due to the fact that this one has holes in it and i will have drilled the nitrous lines somewhere else. I wanna keep it cuzz its chrome and shiny, and im gonna soend the extra on th super to get that chromed to. I like shiny engine bays. So will i need a new air intake, because it is not apart of the kit im gettin. Even thouhg its far away i was jsut curiosu cuzz i mean it does have holes driled in it.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hole in CAI

That nice shiny chrome intake will be great for trapping and absorbing all kinds of heat. Not a good idea when equipped with a supercharger. I suggest keeping it around till you get the supercharger and getting rid of it for something plastic such as JLT or Densecharger.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

That nice shiny chrome intake will be great for trapping and absorbing all kinds of heat. Not a good idea when equipped with a supercharger. I suggest keeping it around till you get the supercharger and getting rid of it for something plastic such as JLT or Densecharger.
it wont soke up any heat. and when you get the s/c your gonna ditch the cai intake anyways.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

How will it not? What is the intake made of?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

How will it not? What is the intake made of?
the air is in the tube for barely second. its not gonna soke up heat that quick. there is no point in switching out a metal intake for a plastic one cuz the gains are soo minimal
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

The effects of the intake will be very minimal in N/A applications...it will be MUCH more dramatic with superchargers where boost is concerned.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

why ditch the CAI when having a Supercharger, cuzz of the holes or what?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

It's not the air in the tube that should be a concern, it's the air in the engine bay. I suggest you do some research on both thermodynamics and the basics of heat transfer. In any case, while the effects of the intake will be very minimal in N/A applications...it will be MUCH more dramatic with superchargers where boost is concerned.
before you edited the post. the air that is goin through the tube does not soak up heat like you are saying. and also if he is getting a s/c he is gonna ditch cai unless it is a twin screw type because the centrifugal type s/c's come with a tube goin up to the tb. you have to start worrying about heat when you get some type of f/i but not n/a
Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I understand that, that's why I said leave it till he gets the supercharger. If he gets centrifugal then obviously he doesn't have to worry about it anyway. So if he leaves it like we have both said then he wouldn't have wasted the money on a new one when he would scrap/sell it.

If he gets twinscrew type...you DO NOT want a metal/aluminum intake. Period. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:22 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Keep the hole for the nitrous. You weren't going to ditch the nitrous just cuz you are supercharging are you?

That supercharger will be quite happy with a 50-75 shot.

I thought all s/c kits came with new intake plumbing. Unless you are doing a custom job on the intake ductwork, I don't think the CAI will be of any concern.

Quick Reply: Hole in CAI