4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I say goodbye to the 2V???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I say goodbye to the 2V???

drop in an ls2, that would be nice
Old 05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Without power adders such as turbos or supercharging, you can't possibly build up your GT to the level of a stock 32V engine. You can always try nitrous first before making any quick changes and spending a whole hell of a lot of money on another car. Your mods with nitrous may just make the playing field more even and there is a good chance you will take him.....providing he doesn't have nitrous also. Try the juice, you may love the results.
I agree with code on this one, it doesn't take a whole lot to beat a stock mach 1. But I would defanitely keep your gt motor and build it up with spray or s/c.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Without power adders such as turbos or supercharging, you can't possibly build up your GT to the level of a stock 32V engine. You can always try nitrous first before making any quick changes and spending a whole hell of a lot of money on another car. Your mods with nitrous may just make the playing field more even and there is a good chance you will take him.....providing he doesn't have nitrous also. Try the juice, you may love the results.

Oh really? I seem to eat all stock and quite a few modded Mach's with no power adder.
But code, I thought you were stock?!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

drop in an ls2, that would be nice
Screw that, drop in an LS7, the Z06 motor...a "mild" cam upgrade and longtubes and you gain 90 hp, so yeah, you go from 500 flywheel to 600 just like that. wow.

...that is from my Hot Rod magazine article.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

It comes down to what you want.

Personally, I'd slap a kenne bell on the 54,000 mile motor and roll around with over 400 rwhp when mach guys can't hit 300 at the wheels. Get the $400 Mach 1 suspension kit and save the rest of the money for gas.

1.) You can uninstall the kenne bell and get most of your money back when you're ready for another car.
2.) Putting in the mach 1 motor in your car is a seriously involved and expensive process.

It's your car and I've got no idea what your money situation looks like but I've seen used 03 Cobra Motors with Supercharger+ 6 speed tranny + Computer+etc.... go for around the same price and that engine has twice the potential of a Mach.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Your gonna rob someone if you get 2500 from your stock engine.

There is gonna be alot to it, make sure you have alot of experence in this sort of thing. I would say you would also need a new bellhousing and motor mounts, wiring harnesses, etc etc. In the end you are looking at major cash to end up with not much more power.

Plus, if you are set on no FI (why????) the mach motor will not be that much better unless you are ready to dump a ton more cash into it.

Just go FI and save yourself the trouble. 4000 bucks for way more horsepower than you can ever hope to make N/A on the 4v motor on a budget.
Finally someone points this out. Since I've got a 96, I do a lot of looking around at P.I. motors instead of just head/cam swap... I don't see you getting that much for them. Just look around on ebay and they do not go for that high.

HERE IS ONE FOR $1500
Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sonicpilz

Ok I don't know whats the deal with the V6-V8, but anyways. I just don't want power adders. People around here are "corn fed" hillbillies and if you have a power adder then they say you've taken the easy way out. I'd rather own everybody by motor, just in my opinion. Plus from a 2V to a 4V you have a LOT better base to work with. I guess I'm just kinda depressed that I've spend like almost $1,800 into my 2V and I still can't beat a slightly modded Mach 1. If you can't beat em.......join em. I'm not going to change anything on my GT as far as body and stuff. Not trying to clone anything, just strictly for performance.
To said Hillbilly - Yeah, but I still smoked your A$$ though.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:36 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Ok I don't know whats the deal with the V6-V8, but anyways. I just don't want power adders. People around here are "corn fed" hillbillies and if you have a power adder then they say you've taken the easy way out. I'd rather own everybody by motor, just in my opinion. Plus from a 2V to a 4V you have a LOT better base to work with. I guess I'm just kinda depressed that I've spend like almost $1,800 into my 2V and I still can't beat a slightly modded Mach 1. If you can't beat em.......join em. I'm not going to change anything on my GT as far as body and stuff. Not trying to clone anything, just strictly for performance.
And then what??? get the 4v and spend $1000 on cams alone? If you want all motor, get an LS1 or go back to the 5.0... That's my personal opinion.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
hdawg06
2nd Gear Member

IMO, I might actually go with a 01 cobra motor if you can. The shaker hood on the machs are cool, but I LOVE the cobra intake manifold, and they are probaly a decent amount cheaper. I would look into swapping in an 01cobra engine. If you are set on the 4v tho and find that you LOVE the shaker hood and/or about the same price as a cobra motor, I would get it. I know that the mach 1s are beasts down low. They are BADASS with a 100shot and some bolt-ons.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Unless you are prepared to spend 10K+ on a 4v n/a build you still arn't gonna own most "built" setups n/a, unless most of the local guys don't make much power.

Power adder > all. They can say whatever they want, but in the end if your car is first across the finish line....

You could easily end up with a 10K bill plus the cost of the install and the engine itself, and your still not going to make a whole lot over 400 RWHP, if you make that.

BTW, check out every "built" 4v car you have ever seen or heard of. Now, ask them to pop the trunk, and what do you think you will see??

Even code, with his 10K + engine build, has the bottle the back. A N/A 4.6L, no matter what the heads are, simply is not enough to compete in todays world of 400+ RWHP STOCK cars.

Quick Reply: Should I say goodbye to the 2V???