4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NO BRAKES!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:31 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Default NO BRAKES!!!!!!!

i just got done installing my slotted rotors but there is NO pressure in the pedal. I havent had time to really look at it but i mash the pedal and just dont get much of a response. i did everything like i was supposed to i think. i did use a clamp to compress the dual front pistons, but they should come back out like they are supposed to as soon as the brake is pressed...... ill check the fluid level tomorrow first thing.. but with compressing the pistons there should me more fluid in the res right? i dont know what the problem is.... [:'(]
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: NO BRAKES!!!!!!!

bleed your brakes... the abs system on the mustangs is rather complex. what you should have done with this particular car is open the bleeder, then push in the piston. And after the pads/rotors are on, bleed each caliper to be sure.

I'd try bleeding the brakes real good and see what it gets you.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I've noticed, with my brake swap... the pedal felt VASTLY different after the first drive... I bled them sooo much, but regardless of what I did, as long as I had not moved the stang, the pedal would fall right to the floor when running, the RPMs would drop and you could hear the vacuum fading.

As soon as I drove it, the pedal returned to normal and the sound went away... it's still a little mushy right now but I need to bleed again... been lazy with it because I can still trigger the abs at 90+ MPH
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Make sure to bleed all four corners just to be sure.

After doing my brakes a few months ago the pedal and the brakes felt soft. What I did was pumped the brakes with the car turned off, then drive, then repeat. After I drove the car a little over half a mile everything was fine. Not sure if it applies to you since you say you're getting none, but figured I'd throw it out there for you.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

by the way if i'm not mistaken the brakes are hydraulic, not vacuum... powered off the power steering pump
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

the haynes manual said not to bleed them because it requires a special tool. it also said bleeding wouldnt be necessary if the hose was never taken off the caliper.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
djdalfaro
2nd Gear Member

bleeding does not require a special tool... I just bled mine two days ago... If you didn't disconnect the hose in any way, you shouldn't need to bleed them, but you'll never know if you don't try... and it only cost like 5 bucks for some brake fluid, and $0.50 for a damn hose... and if it fixes your problem, good. you may just have a leak somewhere.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:13 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

Make sure to bleed all four corners just to be sure.

After doing my brakes a few months ago the pedal and the brakes felt soft. What I did was pumped the brakes with the car turned off, then drive, then repeat. After I drove the car a little over half a mile everything was fine. Not sure if it applies to you since you say you're getting none, but figured I'd throw it out there for you.
My car doesn't have ABS...but when I got a brake job last summer I got new pads and they machined the front rotors. I had the same thing happen to me...pedal was soft no brake pressure. I called my shop and they said it was normal...they said it takes a few days for the pads to properly seat themselves into the calipers...they told me to do the same thing Miliock did...it took about 4-5 days for the brakes to feel normal again...again IDK if this applies to you...but it sounded like our cars had the same symptoms...it did feel really wierd as my understanding used to be when you got a brakejob that your brakes would feel BETTER right away...what is also funny is we did all three of our cars ('03 Focus ZX5 with ABS and TC...and '98 F150 Supercab with rear ABS only)...the Focus got new rotors, pads and shoes and it felt a LOT better as soon as I picked it up...the truck just got new pads, shoes, and machined front rotors...it felt the same way as my car so we took it back to them and they adjusted the rear brakes to be a lot grabbier...after this the truck's brakes seemed like they were ON or OFF but then we could smell the rear shoes burning after driving it about 20 miles...so we called them again and they told us it was normal again...sure enough when we got home another 20 miles later you couldn't smell them anymore and the truck braked pretty good all things considered...after 7 years it only has about 30k miles and we never thought to adjust the brakes but it brakes GREAT now for what it is...sorry to go off topic I just thought I would share my 3 completely different brake stories
Old 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

by the way if i'm not mistaken the brakes are hydraulic, not vacuum... powered off the power steering pump
It's still vacuum, it's just that the power steering pump provides the vacuum for the brake booster.

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

the haynes manual said not to bleed them because it requires a special tool. it also said bleeding wouldnt be necessary if the hose was never taken off the caliper.
You need a special tool to bleed the ABS module or whatever it's called, but to just bleed the brakes at the calipers you don't need anything other than a wrench. You shouldn't need to bleed them if the line was never taken off but what do you have to lose but a little time? If it doesn't start feeling better in a couple days driving (just be sure you can stop well before you get going too fast), try bleeding all four corners.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Did you ever think to try pumping your brakes w/ the Master Cylinder cover OFF?? If you still get nothing, check your master cylinder itself.. Check the inside of your car, near your pedal assy for fluid..

You could very well have a bad M/C..

JT

Quick Reply: NO BRAKES!!!!!!!