4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What should my next car be...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What should my next car be...

Dont be ashamed to live at home, have u ever seen that movie failure to launch, its a chick flic but you know how gfs are persuasive lol anyway, personally i would get a 03/04 cobra and then jsut mod the hell out of it, keep it street legal for a while then years later turn it into a pure weekend dragster
Old 05-12-2006, 01:14 AM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

Go for a brand new STI, or a truck, harley or a lighting, you already have a mustang 4.6, it would be a waste of money to get a 03/04 cobra, basically the exact same car, of thats what you want sell your GT
Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

The reason is me going to make like 40 some odd thousand a year and living at home...my parents want me to stay home, they told me I can stay for free.
Your starting what may be your career, and you want to live at home?

It may seem like a lot of money at first, especially when your still living at home. If your making that much, I don't see why anybody would even consider sticking around home. You don't have any desire whatsoever to seperate and "Make It" on your own? I couldn't wait to prove to myself I could do it.

As far as the money goes, I wouldn't go making huge plans and seeing how fast you can rack up a bunch of debt. I started out at 46k a year over a year ago, and thought that was decent. We moved out, got an apartment and started paying all the bills. I had no problems paying any bills on time, but I still don't see how I could have payed for more mods than what I have (also spent a lot of money on my other hobby...PC), payed for the car, payed monthly bills, and take my gf out regularly on the same salary I was on.

Now, I'm making almost double that and am still taking it easy on the spending. It goes a lot faster than you could possibly think, and it's always good to have plenty of cash in the bank as savings "just in case". Sorry for preaching, but I wouldn't go getting yourself in debt yet.

So...with that in mind. I say move out from under your parents wing, get an apartment or your own place and start making your own living and putting food on the table. Then, take a good look at your finances and see where that leaves you for a car.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Camaro/Challenger > 03/04 Cobra > WS6 is my priority order.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Plus college isnt for everyone, I am just not very good at it, i completed 1 year so far, instead of going to college for 5 years, I would rather be getting myself established in a company. The earning possiblity is really good, Lineman start off at around 20 buck an hour, go goes up to around 30
College IS for everyone if the reason they are going is because they feel it's not necessary or too difficult. You need to keep in mind a saying my grandpa once told me...

"Anything absolutely worth having, is never going to be easy"

You can make WAY more than that with a good college degree, and spending time looking for your career path. And $30/hr will never get you anywhere even remotely close to $100k/yr.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:23 AM
mean98svt
2nd Gear Member

well put
Old 05-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

I like living at home, that way I figure it, if i make say 40 thousand a year starting off, I will evantually be making alot more but just say I make 40 thousand for the next 7 years, and i spend half of it a year, which I wont because I wont have anything to pay for for the most part, I could technically save $140,000...thats without buying another car. 140,000!!!!! thats a huge downpayment on a house right there. The way I look at it, why spend money on something that your not gonna own? or why spend money if you really dont have to? Id rather save my money for a house, and when I am ready to start a family and stuff, I have all this money saved for the downpayment.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Pietrasz4
3rd Gear Member

And 30 bucks an hour plus overtime puts him over 100k. I was either going to do this or be a cop, one of the 2. and a cop for most places you need a 4 year degree plus the acadmey. 30 bucks an hour is real good for a cop. Id rather make the 30 plus overtime. I am not the type of person to be cooped up in an office all day. id rahter be outside working with my hands and whatnot.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

Plus college isnt for everyone, I am just not very good at it, i completed 1 year so far, instead of going to college for 5 years, I would rather be getting myself established in a company. The earning possiblity is really good, Lineman start off at around 20 buck an hour, go goes up to around 30
College IS for everyone if the reason they are going is because they feel it's not necessary or too difficult. You need to keep in mind a saying my grandpa once told me...

"Anything absolutely worth having, is never going to be easy"

You can make WAY more than that with a good college degree, and spending time looking for your career path. And $30/hr will never get you anywhere even remotely close to $100k/yr.
You have to admit though that $30hr @ 40 hours a week isn't too damn bad though. $1,200. Here in NY after taxes you're looking at about an $800-850 check
Old 05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I know what $30/hr is...

But my point is that he shouldn't be stopping there. I'm not going to preach on about why I feel every single person should be going to college, but I think it would be good for him to do so. If not, at least move out from under his parents and attempt to make something of himself instead of purchasing expensive toys.

Quick Reply: What should my next car be...