4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger help...Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:56 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default Supercharger help...Vortech

Okay everyone I need supercharging 102 . I've already taken 101, but I need further educating.

I'm looking to a Vortech and am curious to know exactly:

A) How the different trims get their lettering (i.e. SQ, T, G, etc)? Is this because they produce different boost levels? Looking on the site it shows various psi levels based on trims, and different hp ratings, so I am assuming so.

B) Is there a benefit of going clockwise, counter clockwise, or straight?

C) What is all this V-1, V-2, V-5 stuff about[sm=smiley23.gif]?

D) Anybody here have a T-trim? Impressions? How loud is it? How quick does it build boost?

E) Can I implement a blower pulley on a centrifugal s/c like on a roots blower?

F) Finally, what is Adiabatic Efficiency?

~ After talking with Sutton HP and Ron at Fox Lake (I'ma get a forged shortblock[sm=badbadbad.gif]), it looks like the Vortech T-trim is the way for me to go, but up til this point the most I knew about superchargers were the different types (roots, twin screw, centrifugal) and how their power came about.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:18 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger help...Vortech

Nobody on this forum able to help?!
Old 05-15-2006, 04:21 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

sorry man, i can't help. try copy and pasting in the pipes, juice, and boost section. you may have better luck
Old 05-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Sorry, I'm not up to speed with all the trims. You know I'd love to help man!

When are you gonna shoot me some more vids on AIM? [8D]
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked out the boost, pipes.... section ?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

All I know is the SQ is alot more quiter than the others, and having it counter clockwise helps for intercooler later on.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

Okay everyone I need supercharging 102 . I've already taken 101, but I need further educating.

I'm looking to a Vortech and am curious to know exactly:

A) How the different trims get their lettering (i.e. SQ, T, G, etc)? Is this because they produce different boost levels? Looking on the site it shows various psi levels based on trims, and different hp ratings, so I am assuming so.

B) Is there a benefit of going clock wise, counter clockwise, or straight?

C) What is all this V-1, V-2, V-5 stuff about[sm=smiley23.gif]?

D) Anybody here have a T-trim? Impressions? How loud is it? How quick does it build boost?

E) Can I implement a blower pulley on a centrifugal s/c like on a roots blower?

F) Finally, what is Adiabatic Efficiency?

~ After talking with Sutton HP and Ron at Fox Lake (I'ma get a forged shortblock[sm=badbadbad.gif]), it looks like the Vortech T-trim is the way for me to go, but up til this point the most I knew about superchargers were the different types (roots, twin screw, centrifugal) and how their power came about.
a. The SQ and S are virtually the same blower, with a difference in the impeller design. The SQ is quieter than the S, and MPH told me the SQ is also slighty more efficent than the S. You can have a SQ trim rebuilt as a T trim, so I am assuming the case is the same, but the internals are different. A SQ is good for about 650 RWHP. If you are planning anything over 600 for sure I would just go ahead and get the T trim. If you were only going to run 10 or 12 PSI I would just stick with the SQ, any more and the T is the way to go.

b. I assume you are talking about the gear cut? This will be decided for you when you order the blower style (SQ, T, etc) and what car it is for.

c. the V1 is the older style blower. I am not 100 percent sure but I don;t think vortech makes these any more. The V2 is more efficent, as it is the newer improved design. I have not seen a modular with a v1 S sieres on it .

d. Go to www.modularpowerhouse.com and ask in the supercharger or mongoose sections of their forums. There are plenty of people in there with T trims that can help you out. but iwth a forged shortblock otw they will tell you the same thing, get the T.

e. Yes you can pully a centri up just like a eaton or a twin screw. its all in the same principle. More a gressive pully for more RPM on the blower, and more boost.

F. I am not 100 percent clear on this, but I believe it has to do with how the blower transfers the energy from the stolen drive accesorys back into RWHP thru the engine. This relates to how much air is created compared to heat/friction etc etc. You really don't need to worry about it though.

EDIT: You really should think about going with MPH for your vortech install. The tune is great, the kit is totally complete, and the price is dead spot on. I am hours and hours away from em, they have never seen the car, and they tuned it dead on the very first time. I have been nothing but insanely happy with them.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:06 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I believe the adiabatic efficiency is how close the supercharger is to a PERFECTLY adiabatic cycle (one in which no heat can flow in or out or the s/c system). in other words, the higher the better, because you are turning more of the work you are putting into the s/c into heat and pressure and losing less of your input work to the universe. in other words, it's the ratio of the real s/c to the theoretically perfect s/c of that design. I think this may be hard to grasp unless you know a good amount aboot thermodynamics.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

I believe the adiabatic efficiency is how close the supercharger is to a PERFECTLY adiabatic cycle (one in which no heat can flow in or out or the s/c system). in other words, the higher the better, because you are turning more of the work you are putting into the s/c into heat and pressure and losing less of your input work to the universe. in other words, it's the ratio of the real s/c to the theoretically perfect s/c of that design. I think this may be hard to grasp unless you know a good amount aboot thermodynamics.
+1, you said it alot better than me.

its not that complitcated to understand though. The higher the number, the more power to the wheels a setup will make (everything else equal). The lower the number, the more heat and friction steal from the RWHP number.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:58 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I jumped on another forum and got some answers there, so between both places I have a better understanding now. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Supercharger help...Vortech