4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What to do with the automatic tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What to do with the automatic tranny?

Only thing about a shift kit is you can no longer drive normal(depending on how hard the shifts are.) It completely controls your acceleration. I have a friend with a 92GT and a shift kit. He runs hella-fast but he cannot take a girl out on a date in it. It jerks even when he tries to drive slow.

I say look into a 5-speed. It's like night and day. It gives you absolute control over your acceleration and the feel of a real sports car instead of a fast, good-looking, grocery getter.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

I bet out of all those mods you have done to your car, a manual conversion alone would have given you more pleasure.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:38 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

ill find it tomorrow for the genius.

So you put an intake and a cat back on your car, now you're an expert?... Hahahahahaha, prove me wrong about this... I'd love to see it...
Old 05-20-2006, 05:13 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Get like a 2500-3000rpm stall in it! And different torque converter helps alot, also firmer shift points
Old 05-20-2006, 05:51 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

swap it out and put in a manual
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

as we all know the Automatic transmission that they threw into the mustang is a piece of crap. After seeing my dyno numbers and realizing that i am getting 249rwhp out of around 300 at the crank it made me realize how crappy it is. Is there anything that can be done or is it a lost cause?

Also you have to remember those cars are rated at 260 to the crank... You are making decent numbers for a bolt on car... I'd say your numbers are close to right, I wouldn't complain if I was you If you figure you are losing 15% through the drive train you are making around 287 at the crank.... 27HP out of a few bolt ons are pretty impressive...
I agree with you man... after all the stuff I did my numbers are pretty close to his
243 rwhp
280 lbs
Old 05-20-2006, 10:46 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Hyper00

Only thing about a shift kit is you can no longer drive normal(depending on how hard the shifts are.) It completely controls your acceleration. I have a friend with a 92GT and a shift kit. He runs hella-fast but he cannot take a girl out on a date in it. It jerks even when he tries to drive slow.

I say look into a 5-speed. It's like night and day. It gives you absolute control over your acceleration and the feel of a real sports car instead of a fast, good-looking, grocery getter.
My grocery getter auto can will blow your "sports car" off the road. My point is not to start a fight with you, but to show that if you want to go fast an auto is actually the way to go, as long as it is built right. Us fbody guys know this, but the Mustang world seems to think 5 speeds are the only way to go fast.

I am also waiting for proof that a converter actually gives you power. A lower stall speed is more efficiant on the dyno because it slips less, a high stall slips more and should read lower. Depending on the converter and the stall torque ratio (STR) you migh see a gain in torque though.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I've heard that relying on dyno numbers on an Auto was a bad idea, since you don't optimize your car's power from the automatic shifting.. I would think 1/4 speeds, curb weight, and ET could help you estimate something a little closer to real... A smaller diameter stall converter and aluminum drive shaft would help out a lot...

JT
Old 05-21-2006, 07:24 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i change my own oils too. oOoOo.

ive also replaced my own intake manifold, done head work to other vehicles, and i dont speak on subjects i know nothing about, unlike some ignorant people

hows that 93 foxie lady runnin for ya?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

The 4R70W is a pretty decent trans. Not crappy at all. You don't need a shift kit. All you have to do is increase the shift line pressure. I have 400hp and mine is fine. A higher stall speed may give better Et's but you really don't need one for a street car. I take manuals with more HP than I have in the 1/4. Not to say anything bad about manual trans's though cuz I like manuals as well. I have an sct dyno tune and use SCT's extreme software to adjust my shift points in relation to mph and throttle position not to mention TQ converter lock up. That can't be overlooked as an amazing adjustment. Check out these screen shots.

Quick Reply: What to do with the automatic tranny?