4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Salvaged Gt's and Cobras? Anyone Here Own One

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

Default Salvaged Gt's and Cobras? Anyone Here Own One

Right now im looking to get some sort of consensus from those who have taken the risk and bought a salvaged 1999-2004 cobra or gt, Have you guys ran into any major problems, have you been happy, sad, w/e, please id love some feedback, because there are two that im looking at right now that have both been successfully driven over 10,000 since the salvage title was issued, Thus I would think they are in good shape.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
mattcooper2005
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Salvaged Gt's and Cobras? Anyone Here Own One

I see that you put 99 - 04.. My 96 GT has a Salvage Title.. The only thing that happened to it after I got it is that the Intake Manifold cracked which wasn't my cars fault, but Ford who put a POS manifold on it in the first place..
Old 05-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

I mean i hear so many people in here saying its a bad idea, but i never hear any horror stories, all i hear is that they bought one and its running fine
Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

I bought my 2000 Mustang GT 5-speed Coupe, Black on Black leather, with 45,000 miles on a rebuilt title for $7200. Sounds like a steal right? I think it was a decent buy, but I had it checked out by 2 mechanics. Of course there are problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. The A/C lines were busted, the steering rack is leaking, and the ABS needs to be fixed. Other than that it runs just as good as any other used mustang you can buy. The only thing that bothers me is that I will have a hard time selling it in the future because of the title. Even though I don't plan on selling it
Old 05-24-2006, 01:38 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

You can go to your motor vehicles deparment and get the salvage title removed. However, if the person looking to buy it is smart and does a carfax on it they will see that it did have a salvage title. Do you know what happened to the car for that damage to be caused?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Yeah it was in a bad accident at 600 miles on the odometer. The collision was at the front passenger side, which is evident since that is where all the broken A/C lines were and the steering rack is leaking from. I already fixed the A/C for $530 and I plan on replacing the steering rack soon.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:47 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Was the frame bent? or was it just body damage type stuff?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Mustang's have a unibody, there is not a seperate frame. The only thing on the body that I noticed was that the passenger side fender is a little bit off.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Rpvsurfer
1st Gear Member

the car that im looking at was in a head on, and the engine was not dammaged according to the seller...
Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Mustang's have a unibody, there is not a seperate frame. The only thing on the body that I noticed was that the passenger side fender is a little bit off.
actually the mustang does not have true unibody construction. There are still 2 sub frames (front and rear). They do use the body to support the subframes and that's why the cars are so weak and tend to flex alot. Not very many cars that I can afford are built with real unibody construction LOL.

As far a salvaged cars go, you would not have wanted to buy my '03 GT. It looked great but it was never the same after it got t-boned. That car was never even written off so the title was still clear. All I'm saying is that anything can be made to look good but when a car is heavily damaged, ALL the parts are affected in one way or another. So even if you fix the visible damage, you may still have problems in other areas which were not affected by the accident or whatever caused the car to be declared "salvage".

They can also sit for long periods of time before being salvaged. Sometimes with the elements getting to the engine, water in the trans or rearend, whatever. You just never know what you are getting.

Quick Reply: Salvaged Gt's and Cobras? Anyone Here Own One