4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing an h pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

Default Installing an h pipe

my o/r h pipe just came in and i am installing it tommorow. so i am wondering hoow hard this is and how long it will take.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:17 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Installing an h pipe

it will take about 2 hours (give or take) depending how well it fits.. the hardest part you are going to have is connecting it to the passenger side header... it's kinda high up and a very tight fit... also.. if some of the bolts are rusted (as mine were) you might have trouble getting them off.. 4D40 wasnt strong enough for mine so I had to use liquid wrench and let it sit on there for about an hour or so.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:21 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Use an open end wrench (22mm if I remember correctly) and remove the front O2 sensors first. Once those are dangling out of the way it is quite easy to use a deep well socket then 3" extension then a swivel then a 10" extension on your wrench to reach the passenger side nuts. The driver side is pretty much a straight shot with the 10" extension.

Don't forget to pick up a new gasket for the passenger side. I didn't replace mine and the resulting leak caused me to have to remove and reinstall a second time. It's not that hard but once is enough for me.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

you might need a breaker bar for the manifold nuts. I did.

I'm waiting for somebody to try to rob my home so I really can use the breaker bar fer breakin' things. [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 05-25-2006, 06:27 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

the off road ones are easy to install because they are very light. just screw in and tighten the 02 guys before installing the pipes.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if your car is lowered, you might want to use a jack to push up and support the middle of H pipe to maximize ground clearance before you tighten all the nuts and bolts.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

a air gun makes life easier.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:08 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

a air gun makes life easier.
Yes it does!!! Spray PB Blaster on those bolts and let it soak in for about 10 minutes. Those suckers will come right off. I agree with RedassGT on raising up the h pipe prior to tightening it down. The more clearance the better. Speed bumps love the taste of an off road h or x pipe.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 AM
Hash06
4th Gear Member

thanks a ton guys this will be a fun project
Old 05-26-2006, 05:16 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

1)Jack the front of the car up and support by jack stands, or use ramps
2)Disconnect negative battery terminal
3)Spray PB Blaster on all the nuts (8) holding up the midpipe
4)Disconnect the 4 02 sensors (2 in front of the cats and 2 behind the cats)
5)Remove the 2 passenger side nuts connecting the midpipe to the headers (you will need the right combination of swivels, sockets, and extensions because you wont have a straight shot at the nuts, be sure not to strip them)
6)Remove the 2 drivers side nuts (they should be easier to get to then the passenger side)
7)Remove the 4 nuts (2 on each side) connecting the midpipe to the catback
8)Once all nuts have been removed, and 02 sensors disconnected, remove the midpipe and gasket
9)Transfer the 02 sensors from your stock pipe onto the new pipe (be sure to put them in the same location that they were on the stock pipe)
10)Bolt up the new pipe using the new nuts/bolts that were included with the pipe, dont forget to reinstall the stock gasket onto the passenger side (tighten the nuts that connect the pipe to the headers first, then tighten the other 4 nuts, also be sure to push up onto the pipe while tightening the nuts, if you dont have another person working with you then you can use a jack to hold up the pipe, this will ensure ground clearance)
11)Reconnect all the 02 sensors (if your installing an o/r pipe then be sure to install the MILs onto the rear 02 sensors, you might need to cut off the tiny nipples on the MILs to connect them to the 02 sensors)
12)Lower the car, turn it on, check for clearance and leaks, adjust as needed

*please note you might need to go to ford and get a new gasket. Pending on where you live it can cost between $8.00-$18.00*

Quick Reply: Installing an h pipe