4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: what supercharger

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

So basically what you are saying is that you like to race and power around town 0-4000 RPM?? And you only really get on it from like 3rd gear too right??

I guarentee if both my car and an identical KB car mash the pedal at say 1500 RPM in 1st gear you will not know which car is the twin screw and which is the centri from how they accelrate.

I just don't get it. If I am not in my powerband, I push this thing in called the clutch and shift gears. I guess it is really nice to just mash the throttle at any point and get power, but you still are going to acclerate faster from 4000 to 6000 RPM than you will from 1000 to 3000, even on a twin screw car. Point being, to really race you will still have to downshift and get it in the upper powerband.

I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. But to say that twin screw are "better for the street" is utter bs. If nothing else, look at the guy that showed up at the last local car show I was at. He had a KB 1.7L setup, and when you compare the total investment he had as much in his car as I do mine. The only difference was, he made 364 RWHP on a dynojet, and I made 415+

I think maybe you have never driven around in a car that has a lot of low end grunt? Older v8 cars are more fun under the speed limit than a newer v8, only because they make their power right off idle instead of needing to rev to make power. 5.0's will "feel" faster and more powerful than a 4.6 if you never go over the speed limit on surface streets. if you don't give a rat's *** about racing times and want to have the fun of a torque monster v8, you can't use a centri.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

So basically what you are saying is that you like to race and power around town 0-4000 RPM?? And you only really get on it from like 3rd gear too right??

I guarentee if both my car and an identical KB car mash the pedal at say 1500 RPM in 1st gear you will not know which car is the twin screw and which is the centri from how they accelrate.

I just don't get it. If I am not in my powerband, I push this thing in called the clutch and shift gears. I guess it is really nice to just mash the throttle at any point and get power, but you still are going to acclerate faster from 4000 to 6000 RPM than you will from 1000 to 3000, even on a twin screw car. Point being, to really race you will still have to downshift and get it in the upper powerband.

I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. But to say that twin screw are "better for the street" is utter bs. If nothing else, look at the guy that showed up at the last local car show I was at. He had a KB 1.7L setup, and when you compare the total investment he had as much in his car as I do mine. The only difference was, he made 364 RWHP on a dynojet, and I made 415+

I think maybe you have never driven around in a car that has a lot of low end grunt? Older v8 cars are more fun under the speed limit than a newer v8, only because they make their power right off idle instead of needing to rev to make power. 5.0's will "feel" faster and more powerful than a 4.6 if you never go over the speed limit on surface streets. if you don't give a rat's *** about racing times and want to have the fun of a torque monster v8, you can't use a centri.
Does dad's 69 mach 1 with a built 351 W count??

He won't race me "on the street" fyi

How about my brothers 454 boltons pickup?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

well then I don't understand why you don't want boost right off of idle. [&:]

personally, I think my dad's oldass 240hp '87 TPI vette is more fun on the streets than my 260hp stang even though I know my stang is faster. It's got all the power in the low rpms, and not so much up high. I can drive that thing all day long and never get over 3000 rpms and still go faster than most of the cars on the street.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I guess its kinda like my exhaust. I don't understand why everyone wants a exhaust so loud it rattles your teeth every time you turn on the ignition.

I want my car to be as mild and easy to drive as possible right up until the point I mash the throttle to the floor.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:51 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01roush33

what one would you get?

ill take your saleen blower for free
Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I'm not saying that's what i like to do, I'm saying that's where most of your driving comes on the street (0-4000 RPM)
This statement you made tells me that you have never driven a screw car. Guarantee huh? Do you know what you are talking about? And, BTW, from a slow roll in any gear, you will notice a differrence. The higher the gear, the more apparent it becomes.
Once again, you have smitten the nail on its crux. Point being, to really race you need to go to the track where the centrifugal shines its best. And that is what I'm talking about here. Im not talking about racing cars on the street per se, I'm talking about daily driving. I am taliking about life from 0- ? RPM's. At the track (except for the launch) you are living at 3500 RPM's +.
I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. But to say that twin screw are "better for the street" is utter bs.
Really? How come essetially all mustang guru's agree with me? Yeah, Ken Meile form MM & FF doesn't know his ****.
f nothing else, look at the guy that showed up at the last local car show I was at. He had a KB 1.7L setup, and when you compare the total investment he had as much in his car as I do mine. The only difference was, he made 364 RWHP on a dynojet, and I made 415+
It isn't my fault I didn't tune his car for him. Otherwise he would have made 430-440.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:04 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

[/quote]
It isn't my fault I didn't tune his car for him. Otherwise he would have made 430-440.

[/quote]

so with the same set up, you will get 60-80 more rwhp? cough*bs*cough
Old 05-26-2006, 09:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I'm not saying that's what i like to do, I'm saying that's where most of your driving comes on the street (0-4000 RPM)
You are absoutly correct, most of almost anyones driving is done from 0 to 4000 RPM. Now, tell me why you need a boatload of torque in this range for "everyday" non racing style driving?? Is it not enough that a centri car already makes more power at 3000 RPM than it did at any point in the RPM band before?? How much power do you need to drive to the mall or the grocery store???

This statement you made tells me that you have never driven a screw car. Guarantee huh? Do you know what you are talking about? And, BTW, from a slow roll in any gear, you will notice a differrence. The higher the gear, the more apparent it becomes.
I just don't get it. If I am not in my powerband, I push this thing in called the clutch and shift gears. I guess it is really nice to just mash the throttle at any point and get power, but you still are going to acclerate faster from 4000 to 6000 RPM than you will from 1000 to 3000, even on a twin screw car.
1st gear, and 2nd for the most part with cold tires (what they would be in "everyday" driving, aka no preheat) is a complete smokeshow. At any RPM, WOT results in tire spin all the way to redline. This is on nitto drag raidals, close to the stickyest tire you can run on a "everyday" or DD car. I guess maybe the KB car spins its tires better than mine or something?

And your absolutly correct, from a low RPM roll in the upper gears (3-5) you will notice a definate difference. But why would you start from a low roll. Are you honestly gonna tell me you get ready for a 50 MPH street race by dropping it into 4th or 5th?? Seriously.

[
b]Point being, to really race you will still have to downshift and get it in the upper powerband.
[/b]
Once again, you have smitten the nail on its crux. Point being, to really race you need to go to the track where the centrifugal shines its best. And that is what I'm talking about here. Im not talking about racing cars on the street per se, I'm talking about daily driving. I am taliking about life from 0- ? RPM's. At the track (except for the launch) you are living at 3500 RPM's +.
Once again, why do you need all that power if you are just driving around? Does everyone really just lay on the gas every second they are in their car? My car doesn't get put to the floor unless I am racing or playing around. No wonder most of the used mustangs out there are beat to ****

And why do you think you need to "go to the track" to "really race"?? Do you shift at 4000 RPM in a street race?? Does something on the street not allow you to drive above 3500 RPM??

The ONLY difference between a street race and a track race is the tree, and the fact that you are on a prepped surface that will allow you to get more traction. Being that your making 2000 Ft/lbs at 100 RPM, I would think you would want all the traction you could get in a KB car anyway

I do not spend more than .1 seconds out of my powerband on a street (or dragstrip) race. Regardless of your blower type, you should never be out of your powerband in a race from a stop or a roll. Like I said, that little pedal is called a clutch.

Seriously, this arguement is such a urban myth. The only place you don't have concrete evidence (a timeclock) is on the street. how convient that the Kb car is "faster" on the street.

I guess it all comes down to personal opinion. But to say that twin screw are "better for the street" is utter bs.
Really? How come essetially all mustang guru's agree with me? Yeah, Ken Meile form MM & FF doesn't know his ****.
Its funny you mention MM&FF. What is the fastest 2V car they own again? Hmmmm..... Oh yeah, project icebox. Funny, I don't remeber seeing a twin screw on top of it.

If fact, other than RSC, do they even have a twin screw 2v car?? I have not seen one in quite a while. They must agree with you, but they just cannot afford the KB setup

f nothing else, look at the guy that showed up at the last local car show I was at. He had a KB 1.7L setup, and when you compare the total investment he had as much in his car as I do mine. The only difference was, he made 364 RWHP on a dynojet, and I made 415+

Uh huh. Go ahead and tune his car to 440 WHP for me. Oh, he has the KB 1.7L intercooled kit, a catback, and a MAF meter. This cost him more than my Blower, cams, exhaust, and intake boltons.

let me know when you blow it up pushing 14+ PSI thru the stock exhaust manifolds and x pipe will ya? I might have a stock shortblock to sell him around then.

seriously. I have had this argument at least 3 or 4 times before with you. You repeat the same arguments over and over. You have absolutly no proof of what you are saying, and your statements can only lead me to believe you have never ridden or driven a properly tuned and setup centri car.

It all comes down to this. If you have an identical setup, with identical rwhp numbers, and identical drivers, the centrifugal car is going to win in a drag race EVERY time. It doesn't matter if its on the street or the strip (why would it?).

And like I said, its a pretty powerful statement when one guy has a blower/catback/maf/geared car and for the same price another guy has a blower/full exhaust/full intake bolton/cam'd/geared/a few other small boltons car making at least 55 more whp. What more do you want????

Put it yet another way. I had around 5500 bucks to blow when I ordered my blower. I could have easily saved a little more and gotten a 1.7L kit. I didn't.

Now that everything is installed and setup, if someone offered to swap me a 1.7L intercooled in (keep in mind mine is non intercooled even), even if they did all the work, i would say no.

I simply don't want to buy and install a blower that will A. be slower and B. not be upgradable much past (if that much) 500 WHP.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:33 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

If I were to s/c, I'd go kb FTW!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Hey 2000GT4.6, MM & FF just did a shootout between similarly set up procharged mustang vs a KB at the strip. It is in the Julu 06 issue. The KB car was running 10 psi and the procharged one was running 11 psi. The KB car had a better et and better trap speed overall. This is definitly an article that you need to read, and re-read, and maybe re-read again.

Quick Reply: what supercharger