4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New 3v heads on a 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New 3v heads on a 4.6?

ORIGINAL: POISND U

ORIGINAL: banned

ORIGINAL: Stone629

If you are willing to go thru all the trouble of mating a 3v to your 4.6, then you would be much better of with 4v heads. But if it were me, I'd just drop a Mach 4v in there. Very simple swap.
how do you figure that one? IF the 3v swap can be done, tell me how. 3v> 4v, in more ways than one

Please explain.....
I still wanna hear how a 3V is better than a 4V....
Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Personally, I would'nt bother trying to make a 3v or a 4v head mate to a 2v. I would just drop a completeMach 1 engine in there and call it a day...But that's not what this thread is about.

A 4v swap is going to cost. I do know that. But being that nobody has yet to put a 3v on a New edge stang (I haven't heard of any yet), there is bound to be some unknown headaches. As far as you guys that are saying a 3v is better than a 4v. That's a negative. 3v cars don't respond to mods or make equal power to a 4v. Not yet anyway. I'm sure in the next few years they will surpass our lowly 4vs in performance.The slight weight difference in the extra two cams does not offset the benefits between the two.

I am strictly refering to 2003 and up 4vs BTW.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Its just another option. This thread is about converting 2v to 3v. Apples to oranges is correct, hes talking about doing something different. Thats like saying why buy a mustang if a camaro is faster. And like I said before, not all 4vs are created equal. Even fully proted 96-01 4v heads won't flow as much as the 3v fully ported.
HAHAH you still obviously don't know what you're talking about man. Nothing personal but when someone says the wrong thing it needs to be corrected. Look at any mustang magazine on the advertisments. I'll quote what Livernois Motorsports has to say about this in their ad:
3 valve FULLY PORTED STAGE III heads: 300/215 CFM
4 valve FULLY PORTED STAGE III heads: 330/275 CFM
So, unless you think your knowledge beats that of Livernois, you're wrong.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:15 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

Its just another option. This thread is about converting 2v to 3v. Apples to oranges is correct, hes talking about doing something different. Thats like saying why buy a mustang if a camaro is faster. And like I said before, not all 4vs are created equal. Even fully proted 96-01 4v heads won't flow as much as the 3v fully ported.
HAHAH you still obviously don't know what you're talking about man. Nothing personal but when someone says the wrong thing it needs to be corrected. Look at any mustang magazine on the advertisments. I'll quote what Livernois Motorsports has to say about this in their ad:

Umm those aren't 96-98 or 99-01 heads. Those are 03-04 style heads, I don't think Livernois even sells the older heads. Granted they will fit on earlier blocks as we all know. But I think Sean Hyland knows a thing or two about modular fords and their stage 2 flow 273in + 195 exh, 7500 dollar Full race port on the old style only flows 288 in + 237 exh. Your right about the newer heads, they are monsters, but the older ones leave much to be desired.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

Umm those aren't 96-98 or 99-01 heads. Those are 03-04 style heads, I don't think Livernois even sells the older heads. Granted they will fit on earlier blocks as we all know. But I think Sean Hyland knows a thing or two about modular fords and their stage 2 flow 273in + 195 exh, 7500 dollar Full race port on the old style only flows 288 in + 237 exh. Your right about the newer heads, they are monsters, but the older ones leave much to be desired.
No those heads flow practically just as well, they still would kill 3v's on the exhaust flow anyways because they have a whole valve more. I have the SHM 4.6 bible and it's not on my hands at the moment but I remember the 03/04 heads don't even flow that much greater than the older styles. They flow like 20 CFM or so more on the exhuast side and that's about it, the intake side isn't even within 10CFM if I remember correctly. LikeI said nothing personal, but I tried getting on SHM site to see ifI could be wrong, but it's not working, cause it sounds like you know your stuff so I'm not gonna say you'rewrong for sure anymorehaha[8D]
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 PM
dsbsurfn
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

No those heads flow practically just as well, they still would kill 3v's on the exhaust flow anyways because they have a whole valve more. I have the SHM 4.6 bible and it's not on my hands at the moment but I remember the 03/04 heads don't even flow that much greater than the older styles. They flow like 20 CFM or so more on the exhuast side and that's about it, the intake side isn't even within 10CFM if I remember correctly. LikeI said nothing personal, but I tried getting on SHM site to see ifI could be wrong, but it's not working, cause it sounds like you know your stuff so I'm not gonna say you'rewrong for sure anymorehaha[8D]
[/quote]

An extra valve does not automatically mean better flow. There are many things that go into head design. The 4V will outflow a current 3V, but that may not be the case in the future.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

You guys are forgetting the advanced cam timing as well... sure the extra intake valve helps the 3v a lot, but when you remove the variable cam timing... what are you left with? Either A) no low end power, or B) very little extra high end power... This swap is a great idea, and will be cheap due to all the 3v's that are being produced... just hold off till someone releases a computer that can retain the variable cam timing. Locking it out is throwing away a LARGE part of the engineering.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:43 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I am still wanting to know a cost benefit ratio of the 2v -> 4v and 2v -> 3v.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:39 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

You guys are forgetting the advanced cam timing as well... sure the extra intake valve helps the 3v a lot, but when you remove the variable cam timing... what are you left with? Either A) no low end power, or B) very little extra high end power... This swap is a great idea, and will be cheap due to all the 3v's that are being produced... just hold off till someone releases a computer that can retain the variable cam timing. Locking it out is throwing away a LARGE part of the engineering.
+1

I would like to see exactly what can be done for streetblity and power levels if you run a wild cam in a 3v and then play with the VCT. it seems to me if you could set the timing up correctly on the VCT it could have the best of both worlds, top end pull like a racing cam and low down grunt like a stocker.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aereon

I am still wanting to know a cost benefit ratio of the 2v -> 4v and 2v -> 3v.
Well I did a lot of research on both engines before I did my swap, because Iwanted to see which would be more beneficial. If you go on places such as karkraft you can find 3v engines for quite good deals at times. 4v engines are normally more expensive unless it's from a private seller(that's where I got mine from). I chose the 4v because some parts for it are cheaper(nevermind cams hah) since the 3v is new technology, and it has more parts on the market currently. If you'd use a complete 3v engine(which is what I'd do in the 1st place) you'd have to work with your motor mounts, and I'm not sure whatever other custom work that would be, but since I knew I wanted to avoid labor costs, custom work was out of the question for me, so I just dropped in the 4v which bolted right up.

Quick Reply: New 3v heads on a 4.6?