4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

valve seal job aborted

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:50 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: valve seal job aborted

It really depends on the shop. The biggest disadvantage to having a shop install a "pre-purchased," engine is that they will continually imply that they are not going to warranty the engine.

I always was leary of this, since you're at their whim.. Are there any good shops around your area that do any type of swap?? Realistically, an entire engine swap is pretty easy, aside from labeling all of the connectors, and labeling all of the hardware... Yes, it could potentially take you an entire day to do it, but it really isn't that hard, especially since you were about to do valve seals, which to me, is a little more difficult, since there is a little more at risk, in terms of dropping a seat, or valve into the engine, and having to dismantle it anyway..

But, I figure, if you're going to do it, then do it right... Get a long block, if you don't get an entire engine, and just swap accessories while it's on a jackstand... Although this sounds like your DD...

JT
Old 06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

Monkeydude,

Understood.... I work a lot too.

Anyway,

Shops normally charge 60-100/hr for labor.

I'm guessing its going to be 10-15 hours of labor... so $600-$1500

The garage I go to just charges you for the labor they estimate (off some computer program) reguardless if it takes 3x as long.

I'm going to go by there next week (tues or weds), I have some sort of "tapping" in my front end when I turn up a curb or break hard. I just want to see if they can find anything wrong. I know I can't seem to find it.

I can see what they say for an engine swap if you'd like.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

It really depends on the shop. The biggest disadvantage to having a shop install a "pre-purchased," engine is that they will continually imply that they are not going to warranty the engine.

Yep. You are correct.

I do know that engine builders will provide a (at least) 24K/1 Yr or so warrantee or an extended for few bills more.

They will cover the labor to swap the engine again if something is defective with the engine.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Silver99GT
2nd Gear Member

My DSS motor came with a 6 month warranty and they were very easy to deal with. Ford dealer put it in for $75/hour.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

DId you do a dry or wet compression test?I mean just try the test again maybe something was screwed up, you said it was fine before?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:05 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

gentlemen... see.... I just have a pile of dog **** for luck. I do gobs of work for other people... engine work, tune ups, brakes, suspension stuff... electronic stuff... anything I can get my hands on I do and they don't come back for the same problem.

now when it comes to working on MY OWN danged vehicled.. that's when it becomes FUBAR

I am not gonna fiddle with the engine anymore. I'm gonna continue running the high milage oil to preserve it a bit, and wait until it gives up. I am going to buy a cheap second car this summer (honda, saturn, toyota etc) to have as a backup. Then I am going to start saving up for a crate engine long block. I will do the swap myself and will use the secondary car while mine is down. (within a year or two) I also plan to install a beefier trans, stage 2 clutch and full exhaust with headers. I figure I'll just drive the car now and save and when I go, I'm goin all the way. ::sigh::

Just keep in mind that I have discovered this engine is not the easiest to work on in the car by any means. My girlfriend's dad was trying to tell me it's a cake walk to replace the seals I tried to. He obviously is used to pushrod engines... this one is considerably DIFFERENT. I can see how this task would be easy on a pushrod... less shiat in the way.

Anyway thanks everyone for the input. I just needed to vent, I was so pissed earlier. Now my mom is mad that I am ticked at my car. I am just upset that everything is great until I try to do something for me, which isn't often!

George