4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad Scratch from carwash today... How to get rid of it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad Scratch from carwash today... How to get rid of it?

I always wash my own car :P
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

yeah, i had a new black civic (!) in 94, took it to the carwash to have it look good and wham! those were all over the place. the owner went on and on how the paint wasnt sealed yet being a new car, yadda yadda, i didnt know any better and just felt like an a$$. I had it waxed and buffed by a place and most of them came out.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:01 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dlazrael

I always wash my own car :P
So do I, but every once in a while i've gotten lazy...no more car washes for me though.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:29 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

I had fun all weekend wetsanding scratches out of my paint. I would go to the dealer and get touch up paint for your paint code. Get some 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper, some 3M rubbing compound, and some decent wax. Wash the area really good with dishwashing liquid to get all of the wax and residue out of the area. Then use the touch up paint to fill in the scratch. Once the paint dries, lightly wetsand the area with the 2000 grit and plenty of water. You are only trying to smooth out the touch up paint to the rest of the paint. Apply another coat or two of touch up paint and once it dries repeat the wetsanding to smooth out the touch up paint. Once the area dries, begin with the rubbing compound until the area shines again (may take a few applications so be patient).

Once you see that the area is nice and shiny and all fine scratches are removed, apply a coat or two of wax. Voila! Success! If you don't feel confident with what I just told you, go to advance auto and get one of those scratch repair brochures or buy the body repair book. Don't pay the man for such a small scratch!!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:38 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

meguire's scratch x helped me get a scratch out of my car that was deeper than that. took 2 or 3 coats and elbow greeses'
ORIGINAL: dlazrael

wetsand + buff :P (body shop). Though some of meguier's stuff that takes out scratches MIGHT work... not sure
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

meguiars scratchX.. work it in really well and remove. do it several times. then re-evaluate.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
crash94
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluepony4.6

I had fun all weekend wetsanding scratches out of my paint. I would go to the dealer and get touch up paint for your paint code. Get some 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper, some 3M rubbing compound, and some decent wax. Wash the area really good with dishwashing liquid to get all of the wax and residue out of the area. Then use the touch up paint to fill in the scratch. Once the paint dries, lightly wetsand the area with the 2000 grit and plenty of water. You are only trying to smooth out the touch up paint to the rest of the paint. Apply another coat or two of touch up paint and once it dries repeat the wetsanding to smooth out the touch up paint. Once the area dries, begin with the rubbing compound until the area shines again (may take a few applications so be patient).

Once you see that the area is nice and shiny and all fine scratches are removed, apply a coat or two of wax. Voila! Success! If you don't feel confident with what I just told you, go to advance auto and get one of those scratch repair brochures or buy the body repair book. Don't pay the man for such a small scratch!!
If he's going to do the wet sanding, wouldn't you want to have the sandpaper attached to a sanding block?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
alfromcal846
2nd Gear Member

buff it out dude my dad does auto body and i asked him he said it should come off
Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 AM
rudemood12
2nd Gear Member

unless you know what you are doing, you do not want to attempt wet sanding, especially on your fave car.

give some meguiars products a chance before you start taking any sort of sanding to it.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crash94

ORIGINAL: bluepony4.6

If he's going to do the wet sanding, wouldn't you want to have the sandpaper attached to a sanding block?
Definitely do not attach it to a sanding block. He's not trying to get down to the primer or bare metal. You are only using minimal pressure (feathering) to blend in the touch up paint with the other paint. Then you use a rubbing compound to shine it up followed by wax.

I said to use 2000 grit sandpaper due to it being easy to compound back to a shiny surface.