4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cats v.s no cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:44 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cats v.s no cats

Just get a catted X-pipe. Remember, most states now do the sniffer test and a visual inspection to make sure the cats are there. I have the Magna catted X-pipe and they are high flow cats so I'm as happy as I can be with them. I didn't want to deal with not having cats and getting nabbed. Also unless you are doing no cats and a glasspack muffler, you'll be fine with the Db meter....unless you get MagnaPacks!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:01 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

good advice... no cats=loads of money.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

<UPDATE> Just to let you guys know, I was wrong about the fines for not having Cats. I just called my muffler shop and they told me I was $30,000 dollars of the mark! So that would make the fine $50,000 dollars for removing them! So 2000GT4.6, why dont you call around and look into it before giving avdvice that can get a lot of people in trouble! Thanks a lot.
Im glad you beileve the highschool kid at the muffler shop making 8 dollars an hour blowing smoke up your ***. There is no ****ing way they can fine you for 50,000 dollars. I have never heard of a cop inspecting an exaust system on a pullover. Hell my brother has a 87 GMC 454 with headers and 3 inch dual exaust. No mufflers, no cats, just pipe. Got pulled over and the cop said "take it easy in town, but if you see me again let me hear it." Lol my brother is always lucky as hell like that.

As i recall, I stated specifically "unless you live in a state with a sniffer test". The WORST possilbe senario is getting pulled over, getting a ticket for a car with no cats, going home and ording a 300 dollar set, putting them on, and going to the court to prove it. But this isnt going to happen unless its a sniffer state anyway if you follow what I said about the outter skins of the cats. There is no way a cop (if done properly its hard to tell even with the car on a lift) can tell the difference between real cats and the skins only.

Ah, speaking of not knowing what your talking about, here is a website of a buisness with information on fines for no catalitic converters. Maximum penalty of 2500 dollars. Its still alot, but it still isnt going to happen, so why worry about it. Besides the fact that this corporation is based in california, the toughest state of the union on exaust and performace cars.

The sound of a car with no cats is amazing, beileve me. The before/after difference of my car was completely unbelieveable, I honestly didnt think it would make that much of a difference. Offroad X all the way.

http://www.millercat.com/converters4.html
Old 04-21-2004, 09:49 AM
rico752

Maybe the 50,000fine is for the shop that intalls it? I drive by cops all the time with no troubles .My car is OBVIOUSLY not stock in look or sound . 3yrs & no hassles.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

Holy crap... this is just about the funniest post I've seen. They're so many speed shops installing off-road pipes it's uncountable. Also the only penalty for not having cat.s is not having an inspection sticker. So keep your old cats and when it comes inspection time bolt 'em back on.

Unless you know a mechanic that inspects that can give you a sticker. Now that's where trouble and fines can happen. There are many EnCon people (department of enviromental conservation) out there that are looking for shops that will do this and if the shop gets caught they get fined. Of cousre every state is different on inspections.

Speed shops know about this so they have come out with a basic waver for all of their mod.s in general and speed shops don't do inspections. And as long as you don't punch the gas around the cops they can't tell if you have a nice exhaust system or a cat-less system. I roll gengerly by them Just remember to use MIL eliminators or the check engine light will come on.

As for gains, no cats... less restriction.. better flow.. guess what, MORE POWER!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Ok, you try it... hope you guys dont live in or ever visit Texas.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Natex
2nd Gear Member

Ok, you try it... hope you guys dont live in or ever visit Texas.
LOL, Don't mess with Texas either right? I grew up in Houston & the adage holds true. Yet I can hardly imagine many a Ranger taking the time to sniff at many tailpipes for catalyst inefficiency. [:-]
Old 04-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

I'm from MA but was crusin in a popular spot in RI and got nabbed by the cops for my exhaust, he just gave me a 20 dollar ticket and sent me on my way...he also said I was speeding, even though I just shifted into 2nd?? go catless! i have NEVER heard of someone having a problem
Old 04-21-2004, 07:44 PM
96mustanggt46
2nd Gear Member

Well i made my decision i don't want to get in troble or get a fine so i decided to be realy careful!!! whene around cops and just swap over too the stock when i need stickers. So i orderd the BBK OFF ROAD X PIPE and it will be here on friday... btw i live in Utah and alot of people i know don't have cats so i am not too worried about it and thanks for everyones input i was a little scared after reading some posts but then i relized i live in UTAH.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Good luck brother! Have fun with your upgrades.

Quick Reply: Cats v.s no cats