4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what else do I need w/ this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:52 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

Default what else do I need w/ this?

I"m gonna order FRPP 3.73 gears from www.mustangtuning.com is there anything else I need when I order the gears? cuz I hear ppl talkin about an install kit what's that??...cuz on mustangtuning.com they also offer a motive bearing kit (8.8") is that what u guys refer to as an install kit?....need help guys thanks

Christian....
Old 04-20-2004, 03:00 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: what else do I need w/ this?

Wish I could help you, guy. But thats my next project is gears and I havent a clue about hem yet.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

first it is because not cuz.

2nd depending on the year/mileage on the car a rebuild kit would be advisable. It replaces the axle bearings and pinion bearings. Not a bad idea. Considering your previous post on where the door jamn is I think you should replace them. I recommend FMS gears over motive. Motive has good gears just many different levels. The ones they are selling seem to be priced towards the lower gear set.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:17 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

my car is an 03 with 10,000 miles on it....but is a rebuild kit an install kit that I've hear ppl refer to on this forum?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:44 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

FMS gears come with everything you need except for the gasket, you can get that at an auto parts store as well as the rear-end lube and friction modifier, unless you go with Royal purple.

Usually it is a good idea to get new pinion bearings just incase the other's get damaged when being pulled off the old pinion, but if you have new ones you won't have to bother pulling the old ones. Other than that you don't need anything else.

Oh and you have a 3650 tranny so don't bother looking at your door jam.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:48 PM
RollinThunder
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

FMS gears come with everything you need except for the gasket, you can get that at an auto parts store as well as the rear-end lube and friction modifier, unless you go with Royal purple.

Usually it is a good idea to get new pinion bearings just incase the other's get damaged when being pulled off the old pinion, but if you have new ones you won't have to bother pulling the old ones. Other than that you don't need anything else.

Oh and you have a 3650 tranny so don't bother looking at your door jam.
whats a gasket? and I"m guessin the rear end lube and friction modifier is some kind of oil right?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

A gasket is a thin piece of rubber or paper that seals the diff. cover to the pumpkin. Yes the rear-end lube and friction modifier are oils needed in the rearend. If you go with Royal purple Max Gear lube it already has the friction modifier in it, so you don't need to add it.