4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Handling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:00 AM
tjdill

Default RE: Handling Issues

My friend has an evo and ive been in it... i thought my stang handled pretty well but damn those cars just grip GRIP GRIP! I dont really know much about handling but I suspect bigger tires and maybe a roll cage or something.... i hope that helped
Old 06-08-2006, 11:02 AM
qbuswell
2nd Gear Member

I don't have any suspension upgrades yet. All I did is wider rims and tires and the last autocross I did was pretty good. The # 1 mod to autocrossing is you(the driver). First master the car and then do some mods and then practice to get used to the mods....This is what an autocrossing instructor told me.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
CRAY0971

Ryan

I work for a Subaru dealer (parts dept) and drive a 00 GT we are very heavy into the SCCA I won't say that it can't be done but it will be very $$$$$$ you have to make sure to get a list of the guide line for the division you are going to enter some require you to have factory setup some allow enginge mods only. We run in the SM class (street mod) 04 WRX pushing about 480 awhp (all whee horse power). To be competitive in our class you would have to spend about 25k. Be smart, start slow maybe buy some stiffer springs better struts cross member braces, run it like that get to know the car to where you are able to out drive the car then and only then make more upgrades. If you have any further questions e-mail me

ORIGINAL: Stanger 04

I know most people on here go for all engine mods but I plan to autocross in the near future and will need to keep up with cars such as Evos, Stis, S2000s, and Lotus Elises. I think I am pretty much set in the engine department but am wondering what I can do to narrow the gap on the cars listed above. Is it possible to outhandle these cars in a stang?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

yea defenitely look around because drag guidelines are nil compared to autocross league guidlines. they can be extremely specific with mostly what you CANT do....read up on the class u wanna enter before you waste money and time
Old 06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

know most people on here go for all engine mods but I plan to autocross in the near future and will need to keep up with cars such as Evos, Stis, S2000s, and Lotus Elises. I think I am pretty much set in the engine department but am wondering what I can do to narrow the gap on the cars listed above. Is it possible to outhandle these cars in a stang?
If you want to autoX your mustang effectivly, the first thing you need is some racing rubber. Get some cheap rims, and mount some race only 'stickies' on there. That is the first step. Also, to be truly competitive, you will need a brake upgrade. This isn't cheap, but is a necessity if you want to hang with Evo's and Elises. You should do subframe connectors as a first suspension mod, and then go into the suspension more heavily. Lowering springs are a must. Get progressive rate springs. Castor/camber plates will help you, and combined with sway bars, the car will 'roll' a lot less. Forget a strut tower brace, won't do too much for ya. You do those things, and it will come down to the driver.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

it's gonna take a lot. those evos do grip around corners like you wouldn't believe.. while flooring it
Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

it's gonna take a lot. those evos do grip around corners like you wouldn't believe.. while flooring it
Thats cuz they have no torque.....

Anyway, get sub frame connectors, panhard rod, tubular k member, tubular a-arms, coil-overs (koni), caster/camber plates, strut tower brace, G-load brace (for the rear), adjustable rear upper and lower control arms, and 8-point cage (if not 10 pt.). With that setup you should be able to adjust the hell loutta your car in every which way you want. You can raise it, lower it, set the camber up to 3 degrees negative. All I can thin kof for now.
-P.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

I heard that Griggs Racing has good suspension kits.. I have never tried them out but that's just what I have heard.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:56 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

Thats cuz they have no torque.....

Anyway, get sub frame connectors, panhard rod, tubular k member, tubular a-arms, coil-overs (koni), caster/camber plates, strut tower brace, G-load brace (for the rear), adjustable rear upper and lower control arms, and 8-point cage (if not 10 pt.). With that setup you should be able to adjust the hell loutta your car in every which way you want. You can raise it, lower it, set the camber up to 3 degrees negative. All I can thin kof for now.
-P.
no its cause they handle like go carts.

I have seen evos on THREE wheels at full throttle hang a corner just fine.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

bump to remind mitch about the list of parts [8D]

Quick Reply: Handling Issues