4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gear Install = ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
catnip

Default Gear Install = ABS Problem

So I had gears put in yesterday and when I was driving the car home after the install the abs was acting up... like I would lightly touch the brakes and the pedal would pulsate, but only at very low speeds..

I just called the shop and they said they did not take the abs sensors out because they were rusted in there and they didn't wanna damage them.
They said that it might be because I have not reprogrammed the computer for the gear change yet.

Would this cause the abs to be thrown off?

I did not get the abs warning light or anything so I'm not sure if its a sensor or not?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Install = ABS Problem

Well if its a pulsation and the abs light isnt flashing then I highly doubt its the actual ABS system. Sounds like a brake problems though. Usually, pulsations are due to warped parts as in rotors. Most technicians DO NOT torque wheels on to the car. Which is the first step in preventing rotor warpage. I hardly torque anything on cars, but wheels are pretty important. Anyway, get your ecu reflashed for the proper gear. If the problem goes away then you know it was an abs problem, if it doesnt take it back to where you had it installed and tell to fix it. If they warped your rotors make em put new ones on or turn your old ones.
-P.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
catnip

Thanks for the reply.

It is an abs pulsation for sure.. not warped rotors (I've had tons of warped rotors on my Jeep haha).

I will try to program the computer tonight.. hopefully that takes care of it....

[&:][>:]
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 PM
catnip

Thanks for the reply.

It is an abs pulsation for sure.. not warped rotors (I've had tons of warped rotors on my Jeep haha).

I will try to program the computer tonight.. hopefully that takes care of it....

[&:][>:]
Old 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

dont feel bad, when i flash my brights af ew times, my abs light comes on. when i turn the key off and back on its off though. no clue why and nobody else seems to know why.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Well, since they said they did not remove the sensors, they must have damaged them because it is required to remove them when doing a gear install. The axles have to come out and the abs sensors are mounted on the brake backing plates. This is all true unless they unhooked the sensors from underneath the seat. Reprogramming the ecu shouldn't effect the abs system in anyway.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

Well, since they said they did not remove the sensors, they must have damaged them because it is required to remove them when doing a gear install. The axles have to come out and the abs sensors are mounted on the brake backing plates. This is all true unless they unhooked the sensors from underneath the seat. Reprogramming the ecu shouldn't effect the abs system in anyway.
[/align][/align]+1...[/align][/align]A friendhad gears installed at the local Ford dealer and when he drove home the ABS light was on, they told him it was because they heat cycled the gears on the lift and it would go away. It didn't soI took it apart the next day and this is whatI saw:[/align][/align][/align][/align]Fortunately they were not broken and we were able get them out, press 'em back onto the brass ferrules, and get them remounted and working. [/align][/align]It is not possible to remove the axles with the sensors in place without pushing back or breaking them--bring it back to idiot's that did the work and make them fix it...[/align][/align]