4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-04 GT Changed to Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:59 AM
black01gt
2nd Gear Member

Default 99-04 GT Changed to Cobra???

I was wondering if u would be able to do a direct swap in a 99-04 gt to a 03-04 Cobra Or mach1 4v???
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 AM
orange04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 99-04 GT Changed to Cobra???

search before u ask a question like this. this is not an original question, as it has been asked 5x a day for years now. if you have a truly unique question, then by all means ask it. but this a general queation is why no one answered you.

yes, but you need other things like the computer and all.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orange04

search before u ask a question like this. this is not an original question, as it has been asked 5x a day for years now. if you have a truly unique question, then by all means ask it. but this a general queation is why no one answered you.
yes, but you need other things like the computer and all.
I second guess that and believe it was only 12 minutes from the time he posted until you posted, which isnt enough time for many replies as it is in the middle of the night and not as many people are on. Wait until the morning and you should get more replies, because I have no clue of what all you need. And another thing, "Orange" this guy has been on here longer than you, so how are you gonna tell him about being a common question? I'm not trying to be a d*ck, so please dont think that, I just think its funny how you came off like you did. [8D]
Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Im looking into it right now for my 99 GT. Actually, Im GOING to do it with a mach I motor as soon as my loan is approved. The Mach Is and 99/01 cobra motors (assuming theyre complete) will bolt right up, but need new pcm, wiring harness, maf, and radiator.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

for the cost of the motor plus a little more you could just trade your GT for a mach1
Old 06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

For those of us who bought GT's and then realized we wanted "real" power, Cobra engine swap is the only way to go if you can afford it. The 03-04 Cobra engine is one of the best engineering jobs Ford has ever done. Stay away from the Mach 1. It has a much weaker short block than the Cobra. Add a Whipple blower from FRPP, and you can make 500 rwhp on 91 octane. I spent thousands of $$$ trying to make max power on my GT before finally doing the "right" thing. The 2-valve GT heads really suck! The 4-valve heads on the Cobra are awesome. The stock Cobra short block is good for over 800 hp. You should be able to get a complete Cobra "pull out" motor for $7k, and the blower is $3k. You'll also need Cobra gas tank/fuel pumps, bigger fuel injectors, MAF, air intake, throttle body. Good Luck!

I really wish I'd just bought a Cobra in the first place, and upgraded the intake, blower, and exhaust. Live and learn =)

https://mustangforums.com/photo.asp?...Type=6&apage=1
Old 06-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Adams_02GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

For those of us who bought GT's and then realized we wanted "real" power, Cobra engine swap is the only way to go if you can afford it. The 03-04 Cobra engine is one of the best engineering jobs Ford has ever done. Stay away from the Mach 1. It has a much weaker short block than the Cobra. Add a Whipple blower from FRPP, and you can make 500 rwhp on 91 octane. I spent thousands of $$$ trying to make max power on my GT before finally doing the "right" thing. The 2-valve GT heads really suck! The 4-valve heads on the Cobra are awesome. The stock Cobra short block is good for over 800 hp. You should be able to get a complete Cobra "pull out" motor for $7k, and the blower is $3k. You'll also need Cobra gas tank/fuel pumps, bigger fuel injectors, MAF, air intake, throttle body. Good Luck!

I really wish I'd just bought a Cobra in the first place, and upgraded the intake, blower, and exhaust. Live and learn =)

Hey at least you can say you beat cobras in your "GT" lol wish I had your mods.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Why stay away from the mach? Its got the 03 cobra heads and forged crank. Im pretty sure there are guys over at the mach1registry making around 450 rwhp on the stock short block.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:34 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jacrockett

what part about adding a blower and getting over 400rwhp makes an engine swap the only way to go to get "real" power? How much to you consider to be "real" power?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 PM
TonyN

If 450hp is the goal, whats the point of swapping in a 4V? Just toss a KB on the stock 2V and 450hp is no problem with stock bottom end and heads. Save a lot of time, work and money this way.

Now if you plan on making over 400-450hp, a forged bottom end is a must for any non 03-04 Cobra 4V or 2V (they all have powdered metal rods and hyperuetectic pistons = weak).

That's why people are saying to stay away from the mach and early cobra 4V's. the 03-04 Cobra motors are the only ones with a fully forged rotating assembly.

5-Speed Machs received the forged crank, while autos got the cast....

Just my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: 99-04 GT Changed to Cobra???