4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Has anyone fixed the ticking nosie in their motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone fixed the ticking nosie in their motor?

i got to keep bumping this till jkade72 comes back on I really want to know if he fixed this

Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM
jkade72

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

i got to keep bumping this till jkade72 comes back on I really want to know if he fixed this

New crank and rod and main bearings. I sucks to pull the motor also. This fixed mine.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 AM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jkade72

Here is were I am. I took both valve covers off and everything looks good. I have a set of mechanics ears and I listed to the bottom end and it sounds fine. The higher up the front of the motor you go the louder it gets. The timing chain on the drivers side is loose as hell and the passenger side it tight. It sounds like the ticking is in the timing chains. I am in the process of pulling of the front cover to inspect the timing chains and guides. I would think that after the car has been drove over 150 miles since this happened that it would have come apart if it was a bearing and no metal in the oil and the car runs like it should. Do the tenisoners move in and out as the cars runs? Am I going on the right track?
Thanks, Kade
Dude,
I dont know about the 4.6 (maybe a expert can chime in)
about 5-6 years ago I had a Saturn that the timming chain went out on, come to find out the pistions and the valves could interfere.
All my valves got bent.
If your chain is loose change it quik, unless the 4.6 is not an interferance engine.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The 4.6 IS an interference engine, something that worries me, actually... but you don't hear about the chains failing too often... would suck when one goes though, there goes both the top and bottom end to some retarded chain.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 AM
dstangrunner
2nd Gear Member

Im haveing the same prob. my friend who has a shop said this is a common thing with ford valves. but i dont know whats going on with the engine.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

well i snapped the chain on the pass side and cracked all the rockers and all kinds of other damage.... but sence i got a new engine and it has a ticking noise but it sounds like its coming from the top but not in one particular spot i would say mine is injectors
Old 10-22-2006, 07:45 AM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

its most likely the lifter or the correct term LASH ADJUSTER i had the same exact problem and i still have it lol its a ticking noise its very noticalble comming from the heads what happens sometimes is if the LASH ADJUSTER gets clogged it wont lift and it will just be a dead adjuster your probably gonna have to replace them all becuase if one is bad then there's soon to be another thats gonna go bad, change your oil and run the car for about a week see if the lifter will charge if not your gonna have to change them all
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

My vote is valve train/timing chain tension as well. A "tick" constitutes a light noise. Reciprocating assemblies when they fail do not create a ticking noise, it is much deeper sounding. How many miles on the engine? Pull that valve cover and determine how clean it looks, you could have issues with sludge. WELL MAINTAINED Mod motors in NYC taxis have logged 500K miles without rebuilds, these engines are very durable. But even durable having the tar beaten out of it (with low oil) can cause damage. I would go into the valve cover first, it could be a sticky lash adjuster as mentioned, that's my #1 pick.

John