4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default Transmission Crisis

My transmission started to "pop" out of fourth gear. I had a shop rebuild the transmission and install a new Spec clutch, now it is much worse, because of the clutch I cannot feather it into Fourth gear. Any advice what I should do? I already dropped my car back off. I was EXTREMELY happy with all of the work this shop has done for me and I fully intend on using them again, but this is pretty frustrating. I really don't think I should have to pay for this.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Crisis

It surely sounds like you may need a rebuild... Usually, when a car is popping out of gear, it's the Syncro's that are on their way out... Since you'll have most of the tranny apart to replace the syncro's, it may be easier to just rebuild the thing...

JT
Old 06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Which is what I thought I payed for!! I payed for the "World Class Rebuild Kit" Supposed to include all new syncros, bushings, seals, etc. And I also got a new 1-2 slider. I am under the impression from the little bit of transmission knowledge that I have that the only things that would cause a transmission to pop out of gear are bad syncro's, or bad bushings. Is that right? If they tell me something else to try and charge me should I throw up the BS flag? I don't think this shop would try to rip me off, I'm hoping they will admit they just fudged something up. Everybody makes mistakes now and again, but I'm not paying for their mistakes, thats simply unfair.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Well, I've only seen it a couple times before, on a FWD car, was when the tranny mounts were bad, upon acceleration, the tranny would torque just enough to pull the linkage, and take it out of gear...

When you go to put it back into gear, does it grind, or hesitate?? What kind of fluid did they use??

The shifter bushing could be bad...

I wish I knew more about 5-spds to be of assistance...

JT
Old 06-20-2006, 12:55 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

This is the issue, before any work was done. When I shift into fourth if I leave my hand on the shifter I can literally feel the transmission try to push itself out of fourth, if I feathered the clutch out, it would stay in gear. If I just shift into fourth and dont leave my hand their it will push the shifter out of gear and make a horrible grinding noise.
Now, after the rebuild and new clutch, I cannot feather my clutch and it will spit the car out of fourh gear immediately causing a horrible grind, even if I leave my hand on it. If I fight it and make it go into fourth it drives great in fourth. I've only done that twice to prove a point that fourth gear appears to be fine, the issue is simply getting it into fourth. I REALLY believe the issue is with the fourth gear syncronizer because that is what I am under the impression that is the job of a syncronizer, to allow the collar and the gear to make contact before the teeth make contact, thus preventing grinding.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

if it's popping out of gear it is a problem with the syncrho hub.

What kinda car? year?

On my T45 when I rebuilt it, I di dmost of it myself but I needed a shop to press a few parts on and off. The synchro hubs on the T45 each have 3 little spring loaded clips that hold it in gear, which were all still good on mine... which may be bad on yours
Old 06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Thats what the shop told me was probably the problem when I called, that the springs are known to go bad. The rebuild kit is supposed to include the springs also. I also have the T45, in a 2000 GT.