4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hi guys. My uncle wants to sell me a 99 Mustang 35th LE for pretty cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:11 AM
A.Tech

Default Hi guys. My uncle wants to sell me a 99 Mustang 35th LE for pretty cheap...

ok, So here is my story....I am new here to the board and I been a Mustang fan ever since my dad owned a 1967 mustang when I was really little. I been in the market looking for a new car and I got to tell ya, it has been nothing but pain and stress for the longest time. I recently was trying to get something somewhat quick and easy and sporty like a Nissian Maxima. I ended up not going for it cause I really could not find anything good for the money I had. Than I saw a Lexus IS300. That car made me want it sooo bad after It and the leather-suede interior. I noticed they were a bit expensive for anything with low miles and newer.

So than my Uncle calls me up to tell me about a Mustang he just rebuilt. He owns a body shop and has been a mechanic and body tech for about 15-20 something years. I went to mechanic school for 5 years and I been in it for about 7 years. So I know my stuff. Anyway He wants to sell me a bright red 1999 Mustang GT 35th LE edition with 50k miles on it. He told me he did a lot to the car and put flowmasters on it, Rims, you name it... (I will get more info and detail he did to the car later) He rebuilt and painted it. (I assume it was in a wreck) and he redone the leather interior. Also the reason why I came here is because he is selling me the car under a "family discount" And I was a bit blow away when he told me the sick price of....

6 grand. $6,000!. He said it booked for 14 grand. I am going down to his shop to see the car tommorow. So my qustions are....

Since I don't know mustangs as much as you guys do. What are some key things to look for in the car that I need to check out so the thing does not fall apart on me in the near future Ot have any problems? lol...

I trust him but he got the car a little while ago and rebuilt the body and such so it seems like it is a repaired title, It is Automatic as well, which bummed me out a little but w/e I will take it for that price.

Thanks Mustang fourms. Any tips would be great
Old 06-28-2006, 03:15 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hi guys. My uncle wants to sell me a 99 Mustang 35th LE for pretty cheap...

check it over, if you can, inspect the underside for any leaks, and take it for a spin and note any noises you hear
Old 06-28-2006, 03:16 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hi guys. My uncle wants to sell me a 99 Mustang 35th LE for pretty cheap...

and btw, if it is in as good a shape as he says, 6 grand is a fuggin steal. I got my 97 with 103000 on it at the time for $4500
Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 AM
A.Tech

yea, I know how to check for basic stuff. but I want to find Mustang stuff. Like abuse, or anything that goes on a mustang a lot.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:25 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

take it for a drive and try to haul a$$ and shift 2nd and 3rd... see if they grind... if they do, the synchros are shot...

also when you start it look for startup smoke before the cats get warm, that tells u engine is tired too

Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Make sure the rear end isnt whining... tires aligned.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Synchros? In an auto? [sm=bustedsign.gif]

Make sure the tranny doesn't slip and the stall isn't too high. I have no idea what a stock Mustang T/C stall is, but it shouldn't be very high at all.

Mustangs are basically like every other car, just a bit simpler and easier to work on.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 AM
A.Tech

lol, I was like Synchros? Does he know this is an auto?... yea, How nice would it be to shift into 2nd and 3rd with an auto, That is not triptronic. lol

I like the smoke thing, I will check that out, Also, Should I have him start it up so I can check the tailpipe out? Cause I can't start and check the pipe at the same time. haha
Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

okay d00ds sorry, it's late/early here and i have a ton of shiat goin on... my bad
Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 AM
A.Tech

hahha, So my friend has an WRX STi, And he hates fords. I dunno why, A lot of people hate ford so much but w/e

And nothing seems to be better than his perfect STi, I just told him I was looking at a mustang and he was like OMG a FORD, I was like dude..! I would love to supe the mustang up enough to beat his little STi, If I get the car.

Quick Reply: Hi guys. My uncle wants to sell me a 99 Mustang 35th LE for pretty cheap...