4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:43 PM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Default cams

Do you need anything special to put in cams? or can you just jump right in and throw down some bones and put one in?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cams

anyone?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

there has been a lot of cam questions latley so people could be tired of answering them but i will help you out. depending on the cam you should change valve spring and you will need to take the front cover off to access the timing to sawp the cams hope this help
Old 07-01-2006, 03:20 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

stage 1's fine on stock bottom end, stage 2 and 3 is useless unless you rebuild your bottom end...
Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

stage 1's fine on stock bottom end, stage 2 and 3 is useless unless you rebuild your bottom end...
that doesn't make any sense....stop repeating dumb things you read on the internet!
You can run stage 2 or 3 cams with a stock shortblock and live a long life...

As far as your cam install you should degree your cams in properly with a degree wheel/kit. Summitt has the kit for @ 100.
A stage 1 cam won't need any additional modification but more aggressive cams will require better valve springs.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:24 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

i put in my comp XE-262's which is pretty much a stage one myself it was fairly easy just took a while im having a small oil leak so im replacing valve cover gaskets next week so you might want to buy them when you install your cams just so you dont have to do part of it over again and you will also need a tune my car ran very rich for a couple days until i got it tuned
Old 07-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

that doesn't make any sense....stop repeating dumb things you read on the internet!

As far as your cam install you should degree your cams in properly with a degree wheel/kit. Summitt has the kit for @ 100.
A stage 1 cam won't need any additional modification but more aggressive cams will require better valve springs.
I say the word useless because you cant use there full potential....
Old 07-02-2006, 03:13 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Why not? Please back up your theory with fact for us! P&P heads, Intakes and Long tubes have more to do with helping cam potential...again the stock shortblock has nothing to do with what cams you can run. You will never max out the power potential of a stock 4.6 shortblock NA...unless you spin the RPM's to 8k....
Old 07-03-2006, 12:38 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

ok thanks alot, well i kno i won't be installing them my self so hopefully they will know what they are doing...

About how much would it be to do a full cam install?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:46 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Why not? Please back up your theory with fact for us! P&P heads, Intakes and Long tubes have more to do with helping cam potential...again the stock shortblock has nothing to do with what cams you can run. You will never max out the power potential of a stock 4.6 shortblock NA...unless you spin the RPM's to 8k....
I think your a bit off kilter here. What he is saying is that with the stock shortblock you cannot take full advantage of the potential of a stage 2/3 camshaft, because you cannot safely rev the engine to the point where the cams are really making a big difference.

After my cam install (before the blower) my car was still pulling fairly hard at 6000~ RPM, but I was uncomfortable turning the engine any faster. And unfortunatly, I only really started to pick up power around 5500~ RPM.

A stage 1 cam will start to pick up power sooner than a stage 2 or 3, and on a stock shortblock this is a good enough reason to at least consider a milder cam. A stage 2 might have a better peak WHP number, but the stage 1 will make more power under the usable band, espcially on a stock heads car.

Quick Reply: cams